Want to buy husband black powder rifle???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Want to buy husband black powder rifle???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Want to buy husband black powder rifle???

I'm so lucky to have come across this site! My husband has been wanting a black powder rifle to deer hunt with for about two years now. After looking at Cabella's I see there's different types. I'm pretty sure he wants whatever one is the easiest to maintain and least expensive to buy ammunition. I really need to keep the cost close to $200.00 and I'm not sure if he'll even like it, he can always upgrade, but right now I'm on chemo and radiation and we have a lot of medical bills so the cost has to be minimal.

If you guys can give me any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Terry
aka snowmom60

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Hi Terry. I am only familiar with black powder revolvers, so I can't really help there. But I want to let you know that I will be praying for your recovery. I am a cancer survivor and know how hard it is. God bless you.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #3

Thank you for the prayers. The Lord is what gets me through this, I've been on chemo for 22 months now. I believe that the Lord will give me a complete healing.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #4

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

One of the inlines would prolly suit your pocketbook best. Walmart usually has one under 200 with all you need to get started. I don't care much for them so dont know much about them but good luck with your quest and may God Bless you and yours.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2107 Times on 1139 Posts
Likes Given: 3171

God bless you, Snowmom.

A good muzzleloader to start out with is the CVA BuckHorn. It costs about $150 at Wal-Mart and other stores. i install a lot of scopes on guns and sight them in for folks. That CVA gun is just as accurate as any out there.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check out 1 of the inexpensive inlines made by CVA or Traditions. My mom passed from cancer so I sort of know what you're going through. Prayers inbound for you.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
God bless you, Snowmom.

A good muzzleloader to start out with is the CVA BuckHorn. It costs about $150 at Wal-Mart and other stores. i install a lot of scopes on guns and sight them in for folks. That CVA gun is just as accurate as any out there.
i agree

My first was a CVA Eclipse and still my favorite of my bp's. They (CVA's) are fairly cheap and in my honest opinion a good starter. I don't think that they get any simpiler than that. However if this will be his first bp, one important piece of advise is to read and follow the owners manual thoroughly...a mis-packed load or wrong propellant can be dangerous.

May God bless you and prayers for a full recovery.

In God We Trust...all others must pay cash.

“ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/no-such-thing-too-safe-not-squeamish-29396/

Old 12-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I have a CVA Wolf that cost me 130.00 and a Traditions Timberidge that was 99.00. Both of them are excellent firearms!! Cabelas is a great place to deal with!!! I purchased and traded a couple others that I didnt care so much for. These two I will stick with.They are 50 cal will take a magnum charge of 150 grains of 777 powder pellets all day long. Now these are an inline not a traditional. I havent seen a traditional for under 400 yet. But for deer hunting I would lean towards an inline anyway. I am very sorry to hear about your cancer!!! My prayers are with you!!! Good luck on the rifle hunt and God speed on remission and recovery from the cancer!

Old 12-22-2010, 03:42 AM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Black Powder rifles

Don't feel badly about getting him an inexpensive one at one of the box stores. I bought two of them (same brand that Walmart sells)one was a in-line the other a plastic stocked copy of the Hawken Plains rifle. I just wanted them to show my Hunter Safety Students what they looked like and never shot them. Finally I took the two of them down to the range just for the heck of it and to see if they would actually shoot and hit something. They both shot fine and the factory sight setting was right on the money. I am sure he will be happy with either one as a gift. If he doesn't there will probably a long line of guys from this forum that will give you your money back. And maybe offer to help pay your divorce lawyer.
Sarge

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge

Old 12-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

As stated.. CVA or Traditions. I have a Traditions Deerslayer that has given good service every deer season since that gun was first sold. Easy to maintain, and way more accurate than some would expect.