Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Wanna build kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If you have never built one of these before then I strongly sugest you get yourself a good how too book. There is one called, I think, Building the Kentucky Rifle. I've used it before. I'm a bit of a cheat and always purchased my stock pre-carved, that is with the barrel channel inlet, the ram rod hole drilled, and the stock rough shapped. I've inlet two barrels from scratch in my lifetime and neither was a whole lot of fun, and both were a whole lot of work, but very satisfying once done. I personally wouldn't touch trying to build my own lock, butt plate, or trigger and trigger gaurd, just because I'm not that good a metal smith, but I have fashioned my own odds and ends like the nose cap, side plate oposite the lock, and the wedge plates, and yes they have a special name but I can't think of it right now and probably couldn't spell it if I could think of it. I built several kits prior to taking on the semi custom scratch job. All in all it was a lot of fun, even with all the work, and very satisying once they were finished. I scratch built two caplock and one flintlock rifles and one flintlock pistol. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
If you have never built one of these before then I strongly sugest you get yourself a good how too book. There is one called, I think, Building the Kentucky Rifle. I've used it before. I'm a bit of a cheat and always purchased my stock pre-carved, that is with the barrel channel inlet, the ram rod hole drilled, and the stock rough shapped. I've inlet two barrels from scratch in my lifetime and neither was a whole lot of fun, and both were a whole lot of work, but very satisfying once done. I personally wouldn't touch trying to build my own lock, butt plate, or trigger and trigger gaurd, just because I'm not that good a metal smith, but I have fashioned my own odds and ends like the nose cap, side plate oposite the lock, and the wedge plates, and yes they have a special name but I can't think of it right now and probably couldn't spell it if I could think of it. I built several kits prior to taking on the semi custom scratch job. All in all it was a lot of fun, even with all the work, and very satisying once they were finished. I scratch built two caplock and one flintlock rifles and one flintlock pistol. I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks for your information but i have the tools already i do wood working and have for about 20 years so thats the easy part, lol. (wishfull thinking) I dont have to cut the barrels becuase Green Mountain has the barrel and the rod already made and put together as a complete product for anywhere from 199.00 $ to about 300.00 $ so i am good, i also have a company that i can get the other parts from so i have set about in getting the stuff now i have the Claro walnut in the man cave. LOL thanks for the help and if ya can would ya put a picture of the guns you built if you still have them please i love older guns i really want a wheel lock gun but i heard from an older gunsmith that those are hell to get to work right and even more of a pain in the ass to fix and biuld. Oh well i am a gunsmith also so i love older guns and now that i finally have a workshop i am doing what i want to now. And YES I AM not MArried yet LMAO. so i am spendng it all before my fiance` gets it lol. thanks brian...