Virginia Rifle build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Virginia Rifle build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 248 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 320

Default Virginia Rifle build

I have been commissioned to build a Virginia Riffle for someone And I thought I would post the progress of the build in the form of a build log which I will post illustrated progress of the build. A brief story of the reason why i am building the rifle all came about. The Gentleman who I am building the rifle for bought this very high quality and expensive kit about ten years ago. a short time after he bought the kit he did a little work to it then had some health issues that postphoned the project, he told me which at some point that he came to the realization that this kit build was a bit beyond the scope of his experience or skill level so it has been sitting in storage since that time.
in a thread on another forum he mentioned he had this kit he wanted to sell because he would never build it where I replied back That I did not want to buy the kit but I would build it for him for a reasonable fee this is where we started discussing this build which developed into a client to builder relationship.
this build will take me two to three months to finish because there is a lot of work involved in this kit and the more time that I put into it the better end result will be.

Here are some of the pics the owner took of the rifle kit in its raw condition how i will receive it in the next couple of days which I will post here as some before pics and I will continue to add my own pictures of the progress on a weekly basis for anyone interested in the build.
I am excited to get started on the build so much that I am actually cleaning off my bench in anticipation of its arrival so I can get started on it as soon as it is delivered.

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Last edited by St8LineGunsmith; 08-07-2012 at 05:15 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

Interesting

Old 08-07-2012, 04:12 AM   #3

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

St8Line, I look forward to following your progress. Not exactly an assemble and finish kit. I already like what the stock is gonna come out to be...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 08-07-2012 at 04:17 AM.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #4

yep just a bit more work involved than an assemble and finish kit. I suppose that is why I was commissioned the project
the barrel and lock will be rust brown finished and some inlay work will be involved I might do some simple relief carving but I am not very sure about that yet because I am not 100% confident enough of my skills to do that on a customers rifle just yet however there was a scrap piece of the wood that came from the same timber the rifle blank was carved from so I will practice on the scrap piece first before I commit myself to doing it on the stock.
the barrel and lock cam already inletted so that will be a big time saver however there is probably some fine adjusting I will just have to wait and see once it arrives.

NRA
GOA

Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I don't doubt the lock inletting will need some relieving. Rust Brown is how I had TVM do my Early Virginia. Carving might be a little much. Matt was not keen on doing the adornments inlay i.e. a couple of silver catseyes and similar elongated stars on either side -- I had to convince him! I will say this is my opinion -- less is more in such a particular gun. A minimal amount of embellishment, however, just to show pride in something one owned at the time that was common, central, and constantly around makes sense to me though.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #6

I tend to agree with the less is more statement there is a point when too much carving becomes gawdy looking. Rest assured all if any carving will be very basic and minimal. i think the most simple designs look much better than an elaborate design but that's just my personal taste.

NRA
GOA