Unload or leave loaded ?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Unload or leave loaded ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
other than pure laziness, I can't see a logical reason to do so.
Guess I'm just lazy.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #12

Likes Given: 2

Where'd my posts go???? Mods- A friendly PM would be nice when deleting something.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 10-04-2009, 03:37 AM   #13

Default Unload it

I always unload my Thunderhawk every night. Our hunt is late November and it is generally bitter cold with 2 ft of snow. Hang and miss fires are common in this weather.
My partner NEVER unloaded his Limon. Last year he pulled a 50 yd broadside shot on a dandy bull due to a hang fire.
Not only did I get to give him **** all year, I also got to here him say, " you are right, I should reload every morning".
BTW, I shot that bull that afternoon...

Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #14

Default Load or unload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock17TJ View Post
I just got me a new Thompson Encore barrel. Ok...I load it up go hunting and never see a Deer or shoot it, Now what ?? I know to remove the 209 Primer, but what about the bullet and powder charge still left in the barrel. I have had guys tell me to just leave it in there and it will be OK for your next hunt. I really don't like the idea of leaving the gun loaded and riding around with it to and from my hunting land....which is almost 30 miles away. I have seen the CO2 things to discharge your blackpowder rifle. I guess I need to know if I need to get one or what I need to do..???
Hey Glock: I always unloaded my muzzleloader every evening when we got in from our hunt. Well I was talked into buying one of those Co2 dischargers What I didn't know was that there is a liquid sealer inside those cartridges. well I used the damn thing, Reloaded the next morning. I jumped a nice 4 point buck (blacktail) you guessed it snap-snap-snap. I looked at the end of my nipple it was full of green-yellow slime. anyway buck got away. So everytime I use a new CO2 cartridge I blow it off acouple times before using it on my muzzleloader. Hope this helps someone down the line. Keep your powder dry. Pete

Old 11-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #15

RL357Mag said:
"Unburned black powder is HYGROSCOPIC. Hygroscopy is the ability of a substance to take in moisture from the environment either through absorption or adsorption. The salt peter and charcoal in black powder are both HYGROSCOPIC. The fact that a black powder gun can be left loaded for years and still fire is simply a function of the seal formed by the patched round ball or lubed conical bullet, and the percission cap or hammer over the nipple."

Might I also add that black powder also contains sulphur. Sulphur dioxide is formed when sulphur is burned in oxygen. It reacts with water to form sulphurous acid (same as pollutants causing "acid rain"). So any trace of uncleaned powder residue has the potential to turn to acid under the right conditions.