Unfired Round - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket >

Unfired Round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There is another way if the load is realy stuck and that is to put a grease nipple where your cap nipple goes and use grease and hydrolicly (sp) push out the load. This is kinde of a last resort thing but it will work.
F.K.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

The first thing you do is wait, with the weapon pointed in a safe direction. I've seen powder cook awfully slow when it's damp.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
The first thing you do is wait, with the weapon pointed in a safe direction. I've seen powder cook awfully slow when it's damp.
This is called a "hang fire". As stated above, point the firearm in a safe direction for at least 2 min. if not longer. Try to recharge and if that does not work and to be on the safe side, pour non flammable liquid down the barrel to dampen the powder and then pull the projectile.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
...There are two kinds of black powder shooters- those that HAVE forgotten the powder before loading a ball, and those that WILL.
I haven't forgotten the powder yet, but once I was talking while loading (sort of like driving while on a cell phone) and I loaded 2 balls. The effect was similar to a mule kick, but not as much fun.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've removed a load a few times with a rubber-tipped air nozzle held tight against the nipple. Usually, though, I leave my compressor behind when I'm out in the woods. In those situations I pull the nipple and pour a little powder down the nipple hole (tap it a few times to help it feed as far in as possible, and don't fill it up into the threaded portion where the nipple fits), recap and fire.

If it comes down to pulling the bullet, I would recommend pouring water or such into the nipple hole instead of (or in addition to) down the barrel.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #16

Default You can do that with

any muzzle loader rifle as all have threaded breech plugs.

The CO2 tools work very well and avoid you having to clean an unfired gun (as in coming in from the hunt and not wanting to leave the gun loaded)

The "worm" method also works fine as it has for centuries.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #17

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy View Post
any muzzle loader rifle as all have threaded breech plugs.

Trying to remove the breech plug from a traditional muzzleloader is not advisable. It is extremely difficult to do and will even void a TC warranty to do so.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Trying to remove the breech plug from a traditional muzzleloader is not advisable. It is extremely difficult to do and will even void a TC warranty to do so.
That's a new one on me, though I've never owned a TC. Are they made differently? Unless it's seized, a breech plug is just screw in and screw out on every smoke pole I've used. I don't know how the manufacturer could even tell it had been removed.

But I've sure pulled a bunch of breech plugs without any trouble, unless it was seized. And if it is seized, you should definitely remove it before things go from bad to worse.

I was, in fact, taught to remove and clean it regularly because it will seize if you don't.

But it looks like TC has solved the problem with this rifle: Encore Pro Hunter - Thompson/Center