Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Unfired Round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Unfired Round

I'm thinking about getting a muzzleloader to deer hunt with this fall and I have a burning question. What is the protocol for when the round does not fire? Do you try to get the round out someway or put another cap on and give it another try?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2010, 12:26 AM   #2

Liked 1630 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

There is a tool available for unloading muzzle loaders. It is powered by a co2 like a bb gun uses. Probably a good investment. I am not an expert on black powder. Well, I don't know if I would say I am an expert at anything. But the co2 unloader looks like a nice idea. Perhaps some other people on the forum have experience with it?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:42 AM   #3

You have several options available to you in such situations. If it is a caplock or an inline, you can always try putting on another cap, or 209 primer whichever the case may be, and try to fire the weapon again (I would try several time as a matter of fact). If you are shooting a flintlock, prime the pan and try again. As was mentioned in the last post you can use a CO2 dis charger, and last but not least you can use at tool referred to as a bullet or ball puller. It fits into the end of your ramrod or cleaning rod and has a screw at the end which you shove down the barrel and screw into the ball or bullet and then pull it out manually. But please make sure the weapon is not primed or has a cap in place, wouldn't want an accidental discharge, now would we. I hope that this post has been helpful and "Welcome to World of Black Powder Shooting ". But be forewarned, it is ADDICTIVE !.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknwnshooter View Post
You have several options available to you in such situations. If it is a caplock or an inline, you can always try putting on another cap, or 209 primer whichever the case may be, and try to fire the weapon again (I would try several time as a matter of fact). If you are shooting a flintlock, prime the pan and try again. As was mentioned in the last post you can use a CO2 dis charger, and last but not least you can use at tool referred to as a bullet or ball puller. It fits into the end of your ramrod or cleaning rod and has a screw at the end which you shove down the barrel and screw into the ball or bullet and then pull it out manually. But please make sure the weapon is not primed or has a cap in place, wouldn't want an accidental discharge, now would we. I hope that this post has been helpful and "Welcome to World of Black Powder Shooting ". But be forewarned, it is ADDICTIVE !.
+1 That's your answer

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
+1 That's your answer
I'm not sure I understand your comment.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #6

Liked 1630 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjohnson View Post
I'm not sure I understand your comment.
When someone quotes and puts a +1 that means that they agree with the person they are quoting.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8312 Times on 3593 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

Another +1. Good answer. On occasion, I HAVE removed the nipple, dribbled in a few grains of ffG, replaced nipple and fired.

There are two kinds of black powder shooters- those that HAVE forgotten the powder before loading a ball, and those that WILL.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

While I know squat about rifles and even less about BP stuff, I do like to read about it and this was a question I had wondered about as well...

Old 03-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
There are two kinds of black powder shooters- those that HAVE forgotten the powder before loading a ball, and those that WILL.

Kinda like the advice I got when I first got behind the wheel of a car. You will have an accident, it's just a matter of when.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 03-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

With an in-line, if the round never fires, you can take it apart. Remove the breech plug and the powder will come out. Use your ramrod to push out the bullet and sabot. I would keep trying to fire it though.

Everytime I take out my rifle, I use the ramrod to check to see if it is still loaded. I scribed a line on the ramrod that indicates an empty barrel. For safety reasons the manual for the rifle suggests firing a primer before even loading to make sure there is no charge and to clear the nipple.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!