Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Unfired Round (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/unfired-round-24584/)

njjohnson 03-13-2010 12:19 AM

Unfired Round

I'm thinking about getting a muzzleloader to deer hunt with this fall and I have a burning question. What is the protocol for when the round does not fire? Do you try to get the round out someway or put another cap on and give it another try?

Rick1967 03-13-2010 12:26 AM

There is a tool available for unloading muzzle loaders. It is powered by a co2 like a bb gun uses. Probably a good investment. I am not an expert on black powder. Well, I don't know if I would say I am an expert at anything. But the co2 unloader looks like a nice idea. Perhaps some other people on the forum have experience with it?

unknwnshooter 03-13-2010 01:42 AM

You have several options available to you in such situations. If it is a caplock or an inline, you can always try putting on another cap, or 209 primer whichever the case may be, and try to fire the weapon again (I would try several time as a matter of fact). If you are shooting a flintlock, prime the pan and try again. As was mentioned in the last post you can use a CO2 dis charger, and last but not least you can use at tool referred to as a bullet or ball puller. It fits into the end of your ramrod or cleaning rod and has a screw at the end which you shove down the barrel and screw into the ball or bullet and then pull it out manually. But please make sure the weapon is not primed or has a cap in place, wouldn't want an accidental discharge, now would we. I hope that this post has been helpful and "Welcome to World of Black Powder Shooting ". But be forewarned, it is ADDICTIVE !.

TheOldMan 03-13-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknwnshooter (Post 247053)
You have several options available to you in such situations. If it is a caplock or an inline, you can always try putting on another cap, or 209 primer whichever the case may be, and try to fire the weapon again (I would try several time as a matter of fact). If you are shooting a flintlock, prime the pan and try again. As was mentioned in the last post you can use a CO2 dis charger, and last but not least you can use at tool referred to as a bullet or ball puller. It fits into the end of your ramrod or cleaning rod and has a screw at the end which you shove down the barrel and screw into the ball or bullet and then pull it out manually. But please make sure the weapon is not primed or has a cap in place, wouldn't want an accidental discharge, now would we. I hope that this post has been helpful and "Welcome to World of Black Powder Shooting ". But be forewarned, it is ADDICTIVE !.

+1 That's your answer

njjohnson 03-15-2010 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOldMan (Post 247460)
+1 That's your answer

I'm not sure I understand your comment.

Rick1967 03-16-2010 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njjohnson (Post 248681)
I'm not sure I understand your comment.

When someone quotes and puts a +1 that means that they agree with the person they are quoting.

c3shooter 03-16-2010 06:47 PM

Another +1. Good answer. On occasion, I HAVE removed the nipple, dribbled in a few grains of ffG, replaced nipple and fired.

There are two kinds of black powder shooters- those that HAVE forgotten the powder before loading a ball, and those that WILL.:eek:

NGIB 03-16-2010 07:03 PM

While I know squat about rifles and even less about BP stuff, I do like to read about it and this was a question I had wondered about as well...

TheOldMan 03-18-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 249966)
There are two kinds of black powder shooters- those that HAVE forgotten the powder before loading a ball, and those that WILL.:eek:

Kinda like the advice I got when I first got behind the wheel of a car. You will have an accident, it's just a matter of when.

skullcrusher 03-18-2010 05:27 PM

With an in-line, if the round never fires, you can take it apart. Remove the breech plug and the powder will come out. Use your ramrod to push out the bullet and sabot. I would keep trying to fire it though.

Everytime I take out my rifle, I use the ramrod to check to see if it is still loaded. I scribed a line on the ramrod that indicates an empty barrel. For safety reasons the manual for the rifle suggests firing a primer before even loading to make sure there is no charge and to clear the nipple.