Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Are Uberti c&b's any better? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/uberti-c-bs-any-better-37593/)

Scratchammo 01-29-2011 05:16 AM

Are Uberti c&b's any better?
 
I know this subject has been beaten to death but production quality always seems to fluctuate as time goes by depending on who's making what. I have owned a Pietta 1851 .44 back in 2003 & the quality was questionable, the barrel seemed slightly bent to the left & was confirmed after I grouped it. The screws also came loose after firing. I bought a stainless 1858 last summer from Cabelas when it was on sale. That barrel was also slightly bent, the screws didn't come loose but the barrel catch seems to be giving way. The loading lever also rubs against the cylinder. I also have a 5.5" Pietta 1858 with a blued finish, the barrel & screws are fine but the hammer isn't centered correctly & rubs on the left. The barrel catch gave way over a year ago & now there's a magnet holding the lever up. In short, I'm tired of Pietta & IMO their quality sucks:mad:. Any Uberti owners have problems with their c&b's?

Sorry Pietta owners but I'm one as well.

I will post pics soon.

Hawg 01-29-2011 08:14 AM

Sorry for your bad luck. I've owned several Pietta's and they were all good. The only Uberti's I've had were 1873 cattlemen. The finish on one wasn't so hot and the screws came loose. Blue Loctite will take care of the loose screw problem but don't use red if you ever want to take it apart again.

Scratchammo 01-29-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg (Post 432090)
Sorry for your bad luck. I've owned several Pietta's and they were all good. The only Uberti's I've had were 1873 cattlemen. The finish on one wasn't so hot and the screws came loose. Blue Loctite will take care of the loose screw problem but don't use red if you ever want to take it apart again.

Where did you buy your Piettas?

Hawg 01-29-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchammo (Post 432098)
Where did you buy your Piettas?

They all came from Cabela's.

Scratchammo 01-29-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg (Post 432100)
They all came from Cabela's.

My first two were from Bass Pro & the stainless from Cabelas. Probably explains why the bp revolvers were on sale at the time, I think the quality control guys were hungover.

TXnorton 01-29-2011 09:16 AM

I have no experience with the Pietta's, but I do have two Uberti's, a Walker-Colt C&B and a Model P (Peacemaker replica). I believe that both of these revolvers are very high quality in all respects including fit and finish. I have enjoyed sending many 100's of rounds downrange through each of them, and find them to be very accurate.

Scratchammo 01-29-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXnorton (Post 432103)
I have no experience with the Pietta's, but I do have two Uberti's, a Walker-Colt C&B and a Model P (Peacemaker replica). I believe that both of these revolvers are very high quality in all respects including fit and finish. I have enjoyed sending many 100's of rounds downrange through each of them, and find them to be very accurate.

What size nipples are on that Walker?

Hawg 01-29-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchammo (Post 432101)
My first two were from Bass Pro & the stainless from Cabelas. Probably explains why the bp revolvers were on sale at the time, I think the quality control guys were hungover.

I never got one from Bass pro but all the Cabela's were on sale. I do have an older 61 Navy made in 76 when Pietta's quality was questionable and it's just as nice and tight as the newer ones have been.

Scratchammo 01-29-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg (Post 432105)
I never got one from Bass pro but all the Cabela's were on sale. I do have an older 61 Navy made in 76 when Pietta's quality was questionable and it's just as nice and tight as the newer ones have been.

I don't understand why everyone else has better luck with them but maybe fourth time's the charm.

Scratchammo 01-29-2011 02:31 PM

Anyone own a Cimarron c&b? I've heard their Uberti's are inspected twice.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:43 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.