Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Uberti 1851 Colt Navy? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/uberti-1851-colt-navy-96283/)

sputnik1988 08-31-2013 08:20 AM

Uberti 1851 Colt Navy?

1 Attachment(s)
Im bored and thought I would share, I'm seriously lusting after one of these in .36 caliber naturally... thinking a square back model, any thoughts?

Also, anybody know of a civil war era style rig for it at a reasonable price?

:drool:

http://tablet.uberti.com/firearms/army-navy-and-pocket-navy/index.php

PRM 09-06-2013 10:11 PM

I've owned Uberti(s) and 2nd Generation Colts. The Colts are my favorite - and that is mainly name brand. Uberti made a lot of the parts for Colt during that era, they were finished and assembled by under Colt license. Parts are pretty much interchangeable with occasional minor fitting.

For shooting and overall quality you will be happy with the Uberti. They are some of the best repros out there.

You can always defarb the "Made in Italy" if that bothers you ...LOL

Hawg 09-07-2013 12:02 AM

Uberti supplied the parts for the second gen and Colt did the final fit and finishing. Colt warranted them and repaired them and will letter them. The 3rd gens are a different matter. Colt had nothing to do with them other than licensing the name. They didn't warranty them, wont work on them and won't letter them. They were made by the Colt Black Powder Arms Co.(not affiliated with Colt in any way) in the old Iver Johnson factory.
Having said that you can't go wrong with a new Uberti or Pietta.

gr8oldguy 09-07-2013 12:07 AM

I just bought an 1858 Army in stainless steel. I can't wait to shoot it. I'm sure the 1851, from what I've read will be great fun. good luck

readygirl 09-07-2013 12:21 AM

I prefer the Remingtons, i have 2 Uberti 1858s, and a Thompson Hawken rifle. Be careful...its a slippery slope. BP revolvers can be addictive....I like loading them almost as much as the shooting part...:)

PRM 09-07-2013 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not an 1851, but the Remington is one of my favorites. I bought mine sight unseen for $100 buck a couple of years ago. I figured I was either getting a shooter or a wall hanger. When it arrived, I was a little shocked to receive an almost new revolver. The Remington design is more like a modern revolver as far as shooting. All my Colt's shoot a little high, about 6 inches at 15 yards. Not a bad problem once you learn where to aim. The Remington is point of aim/point of impact and spot on with accuracy. I've also warmed up to the SS guns as I get older.

F4U 09-07-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRM (Post 1360596)
Not an 1851, but the Remington is one of my favorites. I bought mine sight unseen for $100 buck a couple of years ago. I figured I was either getting a shooter or a wall hanger. When it arrived, I was a little shocked to receive an almost new revolver. The Remington design is more like a modern revolver as far as shooting. All my Colt's shoot a little high, about 6 inches at 15 yards. Not a bad problem once you learn where to aim. The Remington is point of aim/point of impact and spot on with accuracy. I've also warmed up to the SS guns as I get older.

I have had the same experience, both of my Colts shoot high. My Remington is pretty much spot on.

PRM 09-07-2013 06:59 PM

a lot of the issue in the Colts shooting high is the small front sight. I've seen taller ones put on them that corrects the problem, but to me, it takes away from the historical lines. With a little practice hitting what you want is not that hard. The only Colt C&B that I have shot that didn't print high on the target was my Signature Series Walker.

towboater 09-14-2013 02:29 AM

Ive also seen the notch in the hammer deepened to improve poa.

HM2Grunt 09-26-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRM (Post 1360596)

These are funny animals, had to file down my front site to have it shoot dead on point of aim from 25yds. I have never had any desire for a stainless steel Remington, but your's looks nice and it is getting to me. I must be getting older!