Traditions trapper build - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Traditions trapper build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl
JB Weld....? I dont know, maybe something to consider. Nice job..beautiful gun..
Thank you.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
My dad gave me a traditions trapper pistol kit for Christmas last year. I have always enjoyed wood working and building things so this was a great project for me. After quite a bit of fitting parts, finishing wood and steel, and trigger tuning, the project is finished..... Sort of. The dovetail for the front sight is larger that the sight itself making it a sloppy fit. Does anyone know of a way to make it a secure fit short of tac welding it in place?

Here is what she looks like

Attachment 119775
Looks like a real nice job. Looks like you now know what other gunsmiths have learned over the years. You can take metal off, but you can't put it back on. Why don't you buy one of those automatic center punches, or sharp pin punch. You can stipple the metal inside the bottom of the sight dove tail. This will raise the surface of the metal, and maybe get the sight tight. If it is still too loose you could opt to use a shim, or find or make another sight. You have put a lot of work into building this pistol, take you time. I think you will more be happy with your results. than welding it. I may be wrong to some, but I don't like to subject gun parts to extreme heat, before trying other things

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 09-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #13

Thank you. I plan on doing it without any modern equipment. I am going to take a punch to it to start with but it is really loose. I may have to make a new sight base if that doesn't work. I had no intention of welding it, that was me being a smart @$$. I did all of the work to this point with sandpaper, carving tools, and files. The last thing I am going to do is take a welding rod to it.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
Thank you. I plan on doing it without any modern equipment. I am going to take a punch to it to start with but it is really loose. I may have to make a new sight base if that doesn't work. I had no intention of welding it, that was me being a smart @$$. I did all of the work to this point with sandpaper, carving tools, and files. The last thing I am going to do is take a welding rod to it.
Magnumman, no sweat, it's better to be a smart a**, than a dumb one. Good luck

oh, if it is still too loose, try light taps, with a non-maring hammer over the fount and back edges of the dovetail. Baby taps, testing the fit for change as you go.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 09-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #15

I'll give it a shot. I am on the middle of a 2 week work hitch at 12 hrs a day 7 days a week so I won't have time to work on it for a while. I just want to finally get this thing finished up so I'm doing my homework before hand.