Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Traditions trapper build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/traditions-trapper-build-97528/)

magnumman 09-24-2013 01:24 AM

Traditions trapper build

1 Attachment(s)
My dad gave me a traditions trapper pistol kit for Christmas last year. I have always enjoyed wood working and building things so this was a great project for me. After quite a bit of fitting parts, finishing wood and steel, and trigger tuning, the project is finished..... Sort of. The dovetail for the front sight is larger that the sight itself making it a sloppy fit. Does anyone know of a way to make it a secure fit short of tac welding it in place?

Here is what she looks like

Attachment 119775

mountainman13 09-24-2013 01:35 AM

Looks great. How's it shoot?
A couple of taps with an awl (dimples) on the floor of the dovetail should fix the issue. If not a couple of hits with it where the edge of the dovetail meets the sight should do it.
If it isn't too loose to sight in first I suggest you do that.

magnumman 09-24-2013 01:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great, thanks for the info. I will give that a try. It shoots pretty good for having a loose front sight lol.

This is 10 yards 1 handed.

Attachment 119777

I shot 6 times so it isn't as great as it looks

JayCody 09-24-2013 01:51 AM

I have always wondered about those pistols.

magnumman 09-24-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayCody
I have always wondered about those pistols.

I'm far from an expert on this kind of gun, but it they are a really cool design. It is more ergonomic than the cane handle design of the Kentucky pistols, and the set trigger is fantastic once you get it the way you want it.

JayCody 09-24-2013 01:58 AM

I would buy one if I knew where to shoot it I'm guessing indoor range is out of the question and I doubt my out door range would like the smoke...

magnumman 09-24-2013 02:13 AM

I go to the game commission range up here in Pennsylvania. It isn't rare to see people shooting black powder. I don't think there in an indoor range on the planet that would let you shoot black powder.

readygirl 09-24-2013 02:15 AM

JB Weld....? I dont know, maybe something to consider. Nice job..beautiful gun..

readygirl 09-24-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayCody (Post 1381358)
I would buy one if I knew where to shoot it I'm guessing indoor range is out of the question and I doubt my out door range would like the smoke...

The LGS/Range i work at allows BP on the outdoor. In fact, Thursday evenings are primitive only....lots of fun. I have 2 BP revolvers, and a Thompson Hawken. some of them dress the part, some real charicters....lol

mountainman13 09-24-2013 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman (Post 1381340)
Great, thanks for the info. I will give that a try. It shoots pretty good for having a loose front sight lol.

This is 10 yards 1 handed.

I shot 6 times so it isn't as great as it looks

Hey that's good shooting for what you're working with. What caliber is it? (.45 I assume) what size ball and thickness patch are you running? How many grains of powder? These can all be tweaked a bit to pull in the grouping.