Traditions fox river fifty
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Traditions fox river fifty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Traditions fox river fifty

i just bought a used Traditions fox river fifty, .50 cal. however it did not come with a manual so if anybody can give me info on it, that would be great. ex, how much powder to use, primers, cleaners..... or know where i can download one. i tried traditionsfirearms.com and they did not have it.

thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

YoungGun, Glad to have you aboard.

I'm not a black powder guy but someone will be along soon.

Where U @ stalkingbear? Help!!

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-11-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8734 Times on 3776 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Not familair with YOUR gun- I shoot CVAs and Thompson/Center, traditional STYLE muzzleloaders that are percussion cap weapons. First, MOST reloading manuals will have a short section on muzzleloaders. Second, never use anything but black powder OR black powder subsitute, such as Pyrodex, Triple 7, etc. Third- never load a "just fired" rifle- the spark waiting down there will put you in the ranks of the "No Eyebrows" club. Same applies to loading a capped rifle. 4th- There are two types of BP shooters- those that have loaded a ball with no powder, and those that WILL do so at a future date. Learn how to remove the bullet when ya screw up. Sequence is powder-ball-cap. Last- NEVER- I mean NEVER- fire a rifle that the bullet is not fully seated on the powder charge. If crud from earlier shots has caused you bullet to get stuck partway down the bore, trying to shoot it out may kill you. While this may be an improvement of the human gene pool (removing dumb people from breeding population) it is rough on innocent bystanders at the range.

As far as charge/ bullet- the traditional load is 1 to 2 times the caliber, in grains of powder. So a 50 caliber would use 50-100 grains of powder. Somewhere between those 2 numbers is the charge that will give you the best accuracy. However, that is for a patched ball- if you are shooting saboted bullets, most come with their own recommendations on powder charges. Damaging a rifle from overloading with black powder is not really possible- all that cannot burn gets blown downrange (and wasted) For caps- if percussion, usually standard #11 caps. If yours is a modern muzzlestuffer that uses 209 shotgun primers, there IS a 209 primer made JUST for muzzleloaders. Check your local gun shop.

Get a reloaders manual, contact the company (bet if you search, you'll find a website) take your time, and enjoy it.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #4

Thanks.

i dident relize how much there is to shooting a muzzleloader. if im shooting sabots with the plastic around them. you still need to use a wad correct?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8734 Times on 3776 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

With saboted bullets, follow the instructions of whoever made the sabot- but in most cases, no. The sabot takes the place of wad/ patching. To tell you the truth, I stick to REAL soft lead maxi's- Where I live has a 2 month RIFLE season for deer- so if I want to shoot hollow point/ ballistic tip bullets- I go pull out a 308/243/303/7.62R/8mm etc. That 400 gr lead maxi ball will drop a deer faster than a bad habit.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Young Gun, E-Mail Traditions, I'm sure they will gladly send you a manual.