Traditions 1851? revolver - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Traditions 1851? revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

I have the 1851 with the brass frame. I shoot BP. I use a smaller charge because of the brass frame. It can not handle the full charge of the steel gun. I use a charge of BP then a charge of corn meal to fill the cylinder the rest of the way. You need to have the ball against the powder. I use an empty 40 S&W case to measure my BP. Then a 9mm case to measure the corn meal. Then the ball. I do use crisco over the ball. I use number 11 caps on mine.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #22

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have never understood putting food things in a six shooter. Crisco and cornmeal or grits are better eaten before going to the range. B/P six guns are not just semi-accurate they are very accurate. They were intended to be fired full power. This is the very accurate Roger & Spencer from which Ruger designed the ROA. This was fired from a rest at 25 yds. The load was 40/3F Wano Black a .457 RB poured 20-1 lead to tin and a Remington new type #11 cap. The load clocks at 1,030 FPS at 10'.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #23

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

The brass framed revolvers can not stand up to continued full power loads. It will stretch the frame. That is why they use reduced power loads. But BP should not be fired from a cylinder that is not full. That is why a filler is used. I misspoke when I said I use corn meal. I actually use cream of wheat. But it does the same thing. Firing a bp charge from a partially full cylinder can cause a kaboom!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #24

That is why Colt never produced a "Brasser". I did not intend to address these these poorly made copies. These are made to be looked at.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 275 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 121

That was one impressive grouping ! For any revolver, of any age ! I am beginning to suspect I was not given the whole Story but a bill of goods on the "evils" of chain fire.

Yet, while they certainly are tasty breakfast fare, I've seen very good shooters produce similar groups using cornmeal as part of their uniform load. I'm not taking sides - just glad I didn't have to clean it after.

However, I used 30, 35, 40, 45 gr of Pondrex w lead balls & wonder wads and never achieved the results Durango did. Maybe I should switch BP ?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #26

Gonzilla. It depends on which gun you are shooting. The R&S Euroarms is a very accurate handgun. The R&S design was the last of the Perc. handguns. The R&S was never issued to Union troops as the war ended. The one pictured is a target Mdl. Adj. sights. These were not made in the orginals. The modern R&S as made by DP&S is used by the U.S. B/P Shooting Teams. Ruger engineers used the R&S as a Mdl. when designing the ROA. The 58' Remington is accurate but it will bind from carbon residue. If you want a very accurate B/P handgun the ROA is by far the best. If you want a HC gun it may be more difficult to get cutting edge accuracy. I use this gun for Revolver matches. The R&S will shoot with my Colt Gold Cup. When loaded with with Lee 200 grs bullets and Triple 7 it has more power than the .45 ACP. These guns in their day were made to run. Handgunners from the 1860s would roll on the ground at the thoughts of putting Grits and lard in their 6 guns.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 275 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Funny you mention 1860s, I'm reading a historical novel about a Jim Hanson, a Civil War Sniper with a one of a kind 50 cal rifle. Somehow, I think you'd like it and it helps me get into the 18th Century mindset. IMHO, I think you and an earlier post were correct, it would be one more thing to carry around and our forefathers were nothing if not practical.

BP pistols were favored by Calvery and I find it difficult to believe in the heat & confusion of battle, they w find time to grease a pistol. I have a Ruger 44 BP w adj sights and I never did find the magic receipe for accuracy w it. I've been in & out of the VA hospital last few years and its been a safe Queen for too long. Morphine plays havoc w my accuracy but does wonders for my disposition.

1001 thanks to all members for sharing memories, not many "old timers" left w serious BP experience.

Nice to have a "civil" conversation w/o having to debate why Glock is not the single greatest achievement in the course of human history.