Traditions 1851? revolver - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Traditions 1851? revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007

Crisco works on top of the balls to prevent chain fire. The lead balls in the gun not your balls.
Glad you clarified, don't want anyone to be thinking that could be a new form of birth control.
"hey baby, this prevents chain fire, I know what I'm doing, trust me"

Old 01-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Although it feels pretty good on the balls....hehehehe

Old 01-15-2012, 02:42 AM   #13

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Oh come on! Foodstuffs do not belong there!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Glad you clarified, don't want anyone to be thinking that could be a new form of birth control.
"hey baby, this prevents chain fire, I know what I'm doing, trust me"
I just spayed my coffee on my computer.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 04-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #15

I put tresco/ampco nipples on my Pietta 1851 Navy 44 and Remington #10's fit purrrfectly.
I did notice that the Tresco's are a little longer and engage the hammer whereas the stock ones just cleared it, so no dry firing with the Tresco's.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #16

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Chain fire is caused by caps which are not fitted properly. The chain fire is not cured with Crisco which melts with the first shot. These imports have nipples for #10 caps. Chain fire is caused from heat passing over an open vent just like the firing of a flint lock. The chain fire is BS anyway. When it happens you will seldom know it. The ball goes about 15 ft. and hits the ground. So what no big deal. If you want an over ball lube use a high heat product such as Mobile One Red Steering gear grease. Auto Zone has it. If you use Tripple 7 no lubes are need.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #17

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 115

There is a bit of wisdom passed down to me by an old time BP shooter about chain firing that I'd like to pass along. I remember talking to my grandfather before he passed away back in the 1960's and he told me how things were "back in the day". I was a teen just starting into my use of BP (we used original, not replica guns then FWIW), he was almost 90 and had shot BP guns as a boy in the late 1800's. He told me that as long as the bullet was in the chamber snugly, there was no need for any sort of lube. In fact, his father and older brother would consider it a waste of time and money since it was something else they'd have needed to carry with them, plus grease cost money... something in short supply for most folks. If a spark could get past that ball of lead, the ball is too small and will probably fall out - along with the powder. He said the only time anyone put something like grease over a revolver cylinder was if they were using the gun to fire "blanks" (as a starting pistol or just to make noise on New Years for example) and it was to keep the loose powder dry and from falling out. Anyway, I could see his point and except on certain occasions, I haven't used a lube in almost 50 years and have never had a chain fire from any of my BP revolvers. Of course, that's just my experience and I'm not telling anyone NOT to use a lube if you so desire.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #18

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Chain fire is mostly BS. When it happens you will most likely not know it. The ball pops from chamber mouth and hits the ground. Putting Crisco in a chamber mouth is a waste of time. This is a low heat product and is mostly melted and gone with the first shot. Crisco is used to soften black powder residue. Chain fire is caused by caps not fitting properly or falling off the nipples. The parabolic flame from a fired cap passes over the open vent. The heat from this exploding cap fires the open chamber. This is the same way a flint lock rifle with a vent is fired. The imported B/P revolver is made to accept #10 caps. The only cure is to use #10 caps or order #11 nipples from Track of the Wolf or Dixie gun works Etc. You can use expensive Ox Yoke wads for lube. I would use a small amount of Mobile One RED High Heat steering arm grease. You can get this [Non Petrol] grease not oil at Auto Zone for $5 bucks for a years supply. Note Colt did not recomend any wads or grease in their revolvers back in the day. Many modern day Compt. shooters do not use lubes or wads. They are messy and expensive. I would load with Triple 7 powder no B/P mess to clean up and is very clean. Good Luck

Old 04-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 273 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 120

One vote Wonder Wads - no chain fire, no mess.

A good shot used cornmeal to enure each rd was at end of cylinder. Never tried it personally.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 273 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Now I wondering if it was a waste of $$$ but that was "wisdom" of the day and it was semi-accurate (uniform load)