Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > tower 1863 Need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default tower 1863 Need advice

Looking for advice. I just received a musket from old family member. Stored away for last hundred years. Patina is almost black/dark brown. Cleaned away some small areas to find "Tower 1863" on side plate, "cw James Birmingham" stamp on stock. Rifle is 46" long overall. I went on line and found some info. I believe it is a confederate musket, 2 band. Most of what I saw were 3 band. I did not want to remove any more of finish until I found what I had. Questions are, should I refinish? Does it have more value than the many thousands of common rifles used during the war. Any help would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

STOP. No, really- STOP! DO NOT CLEAN UP THE RIFLE.

What you call crud/ dirt collectors call "patina". I have seen dozens of high value collectable firearms destroyed by "cleaning" them. Other than light oil, and rubbing (gently) with a clean cloth, DON'T.

Any restoration should be done by an experienced restorer. Otherwise, it is like trying to "restore" a Monet oil with a can of Rustoleum.

This is a link to a company that sells reproductions- may help identify what you have. VERY possible that it is a Civil War firearm.

Civil War Reproduction Muskets - Taylor's & Co., Inc.

Important PS- have you checked that there is not a load in the gun? If not, use the ramrod to check. If you do not know how, send me a PM.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.