Tompson Hawken 50cal. Advise - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Tompson Hawken 50cal. Advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2564 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Thanks for the info! I will check on that owners manual. And have made a note of everything I need. Looking forward to shooting it. If you think of anything else let me know.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
Fisherking did you get the cap or flinter? I have three flinters, one cap in rifles and the cap and one flint are in 54 and the other two fliners are 62 caliber all round balls only. The two 62's are smoothbore, one is a custom and the other I built.
Actualy I have one of each both in .54 GPR and a rep 1851 .36 cal navey.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 11-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
That's a 1:48 twist not 1:28. Caps will be #11. I like CCI best. I used 90 grs. of Pyrodex behind either a Lee REAL or a maxi ball but both require a short starter. Use real black if you can get it, forget the pellets. Loose powder is more reliable. Cleanup is with hot soapy water. No petroleum based lubes in the bore. They don't interact well with bp fouling and will leave a tarry residue that's hard to clean. A patch jag, patch worm and a ball puller for your ramrod are necessities. Never load directly from a flask. It only takes one spark to turn it into a grenade. You will have to experiment to find out what load your rifle likes. For me a patched round ball is more rewarding but its harder to work up a patch/powder/ball combo.
very good post, The 1:48 twist is accurate for the rifle. My rifle has a 1:24 twist and will not shoot sabots accurately. I use a Thompson Center Maxi-Ball with 80 grains of Powdex RS or 65 grains of Powdex P. for the Thompson rifle. It is a good rifle. I don`t care for the pellets because I have experienced poor ignition.
patret

Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #14

Hi I had a Thompson Center 50 cal for many years. I used Pyrodex RS instead of Black Powder. #13 Black powder solvent always swabbed the barrel very nicely. Used .490 lead balls. Prelubed patches. Usually found after a couple of shots, it didn't hurt to swab the barrel. Have fun.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey I own several Hawkins and several Renegade, all but one are .50 cal, the odd one is a .54 cal, two are flints. I swapped the nipples on the cap lock rifles for nipples ment to use the musket caps, give you a much hotter spark and stops any worry about mis-fires with the regular caps (never had a mis-fire, but was always worried about one. A nipple wrench is another must, I always take off the nipple before cleaing, helps the water be pulled up the barrel easier. I always use Murphy Oil soap with warm water then use a compressor to blow out as much water as I can after then a coat of bore butter in the bore and a very light coat of oil. I buy my black powder o the net 50 lbs at a time and don't use any substitutes, besides I enjoy the odor of the burning bp. The owners manual for the rifles should give you lots of informtion, and Lyman makesa good black powder book, but the best thing is to find someone in the area that also shoots bp and they would be proud to teach you. The TC Hawken can take loadsas high as 110 grains of bp, but why, work up and find a good low recoil good load, and I like the TC maxiballs, I cast my own, from pure lead no alloy.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Seasoning the bore with Bore Butter and switching nipples to accept the musket caps is a great upgrade. I used 370 grain Maxi Balls in my 50 cal Hawken. Many of my friends used the 44cal Hornady 240grain XTP sabots in their Hawkens with great results.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badshot320 View Post
Seasoning the bore with Bore Butter and switching nipples to accept the musket caps is a great upgrade. I used 370 grain Maxi Balls in my 50 cal Hawken. Many of my friends used the 44cal Hornady 240grain XTP sabots in their Hawkens with great results.
No need to "season" the bore.... It's not a cast iron dutch oven/skillet. The season the bore lore is not applicable since the metals are nowhere near the same (cast iron needs seasoning). Since I don't shoot a percussion (rocklock) I can't comment on the nipple switch. Maxi Balls are a great projectile to use. I'm also having good luck with the 295 grain Power Belts and the 270 grain Power Belt Platinums loaded with 80gr Goex FFFg.