Tompson Hawken 50cal. Advise
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Tompson Hawken 50cal. Advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2562 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Default Tompson Hawken 50cal. Advise

Looking for advise!

I received a Thompson Hawken Rifle in 50 Cal for a retirement present. It is a nice rifle. I am an avid center-fire rifle and pistol person. But know very little about the black powder weapon mentioned. What products do I need for it regarding projectiles, powder, caps and cleaning supplies. When I was much younger I had a Navy Model 36 cal black powder pistol I liked to shoot but the rifle is another issue. Please let me know what I need. I know there now is all kinds of new propellants maxi balls and etc. Thanks for your assistance.

Sniper 03

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2010, 02:37 AM   #2

what are you going to use it for, paper punching, hunting ?. do you want to shoot black powder or black powder substitute? its more than likely has a 1 in 28 twist so you can shoot both sabots, minnie types and round balls, its a trade off twist that you can use different bullet types. it should have come with literature that tells you what you need if it didnt go to TC's site and they will send it to you.
some of the things you will need
powder- black or pyrodex
lead balls or projectiles like sabots or bullets
caps for your nipple
a short starter to start your bullet or ball with
a nipple pick- to clean your nipple out with
a powder measure of some kind, adjustable is the best
they have caps you can screw onto your powder that you can pour into your measure, or a traditional powder horn.
patches for round balls if you shoot them, you put the patch over the bbl and seat a ball on top of it.
cleaner, some of the substitutes can be cleaned with solvet that they have for them, you can use soapie water if you shoot black powder.
cleaning patches, bruches etc to clean with.
I know i am forgetting something so someone will jump in and they may have other ideas, I shoot traditonal caplock and flintlocks both with round balls only.
Have fun with it as it will grow on you and you will love it, remeber to be safe do not smoke around it, black powder will explode !!!!!!!! not trying to scare you just a word of advice. let us know how you do or if I can help any PM me with questions, Im no expert but Ive been shooting it since 1969.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 11-25-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Whitesmoke,

Thank you very much for the information. At first I will probably begin by punching paper but will hope to utilize what I would use to hunt with, I am a rifle deer hunter and an accuracy freak! So I am always after the peak accuracy I can acquire as per my forum name. Thanks again and I will surely be in touch regarding the venture. The gave me some of the items that you mentioned with the rifle. I guess my biggest decision is black powder or optional propellants,

Thanks Again 03

Old 11-25-2010, 03:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Whitesmoke,

Thank you very much for the information. At first I will probably begin by punching paper but will hope to utilize what I would use to hunt with, I am a rifle deer hunter and an accuracy freak! So I am always after the peak accuracy I can acquire as per my forum name. Thanks again and I will surely be in touch regarding the venture. The gave me some of the items that you mentioned with the rifle. I guess my biggest decision is black powder or optional propellants,

Thanks Again 03
I use a T/C .50 cal for hunting deer. I use the Pyrodex pellets because it is easy to make up speedloaders (no measuring).

Old 11-25-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

PT

What charge and bullet are you using?

Old 11-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #6

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That's a 1:48 twist not 1:28. Caps will be #11. I like CCI best. I used 90 grs. of Pyrodex behind either a Lee REAL or a maxi ball but both require a short starter. Use real black if you can get it, forget the pellets. Loose powder is more reliable. Cleanup is with hot soapy water. No petroleum based lubes in the bore. They don't interact well with bp fouling and will leave a tarry residue that's hard to clean. A patch jag, patch worm and a ball puller for your ramrod are necessities. Never load directly from a flask. It only takes one spark to turn it into a grenade. You will have to experiment to find out what load your rifle likes. For me a patched round ball is more rewarding but its harder to work up a patch/powder/ball combo.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
PT

What charge and bullet are you using?
We (my uncle, cousin, grandfather and I) use 90 gr of pyrodex (3 pellets). I'm not sure of the bullet we use at the moment, as I am on the road, but I will let you know when I get a chance. I believe they are one of the Thompson/Center brand bullets but I am not positive.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8867 Times on 3840 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

I shoot a 50 TC Renegade. Great rifles. I use about 85 gr of fffG black, and a .50 cal maxi-ball. I use Bore Butter lube, but Crisco also works. The TC seems to like Maxis more than round ball, but will do well with either. I do not shoot sabots- if over 300 grains of SOFT lead does not do the job, I'll quit. And as the man said, get the owner'd manual for your rifle.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on what Hawg said.
I had a Hawken TC .50 and took 3 deer with it. Mine had a1 in 48 twist and was preaty acurate ot to 50 yards -75 yards with PRB. I dont know how it worked with Mini balls or lee real bullits. The 1 in 48 was a compromise for PRB and Conical bullits.
I sold Mine and got a Lyman Great Planes Rifle .54 that has a 1 in 60 twist for PRB only and benched it will clover leaf all day with 80 grns BP FF and up.
I just love shooting Patched Round Ball and real Black Powder.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Last edited by Fisherking; 11-25-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #10

Fisherking did you get the cap or flinter? I have three flinters, one cap in rifles and the cap and one flint are in 54 and the other two fliners are 62 caliber all round balls only. The two 62's are smoothbore, one is a custom and the other I built.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee