Tips and tricks for newbies - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Tips and tricks for newbies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
I am still trying to work up the right ball diameter/patch thickness combo for this rifle. I have a boat load of the prelubed patches in .010", .015" and .018" and no "dry" patches in those thicknesses. I'll try using Bore Butter for between shot cleaning and see if it helps reduce the residual fouling.
TXnorton
Have you tried pillow ticking?

It must be understood by the operator that common sense and caution are factors which cannot be built into this product, but must be supplied by the operator.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

W:

The 0.018" patches that I have are of the pillow ticking material, I'll work my way up to them as I break in the barrel, and get a bit more experience with muzzleloading.

Thanks,

TXnorton

Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
W:

The 0.018" patches that I have are of the pillow ticking material, I'll work my way up to them as I break in the barrel, and get a bit more experience with muzzleloading.

Thanks,

TXnorton

TX - just out of curiosity, who makes your .54 Hawken, and do you know the rate of twist of the barrel? The reason I ask is because many older sidelocks came with either a 1:66 or a 1:48 twist. My T/C NewEnglander is 1:66 and because of the slower twist stabilizes round balls much better than conicals. My CVA Frontier rifle has a 1:48 twist and shoots conicals better than round balls - in fact from a bench it will shoot into 2" at 100 yds with Lee R.E.A.L. conicals. My .58 CVA Mountain rifle has a 1:66 twist also and thus shoots round balls more accurately.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

RL:

My .54 Hawken is a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain version. It is an absolutely a beautiful piece of work with a gorgeous maple stock. When Cabellas put this on sale from $999 down to $699, I had to jump on it!

Barrel is 34" long with a 1 in 66" twist. This should be well suited for accuracy with patched round balls, but not a fast enough twist rate for conicals or sabots.

I am still in the learning process with the muzzleloader. I have been working 7days/week for the past month, so I have only been able to take it to the range twice so far. I'll get to shoot it again next week-end.

TXnorton

Last edited by TXnorton; 06-28-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That sounds like a nice gun! Pedersoli makes some of the best quality rifles to be had today. With a barrel like that you should have a real tackdriver with patched RB's. Post a range report when you get done, I'd love to hear what it can do! Good luck.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"