T/C 50 Cal. Hawken Flintlock Loads???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > T/C 50 Cal. Hawken Flintlock Loads???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default T/C 50 Cal. Hawken Flintlock Loads???

I just got what I feel was a good deal on a T/c 50 Cal. Flint. Never been fired clean as the day it was purchased for $260.00. I can't wait to get it dirty and then use it during the PA late flintlock season. I also just picked up some FFFF and FF powder and 175 gr. round balls and 275 Gr. Maxi Hunters. I am wondering if any of you shoot the same gun and what loads you have used with the round balls and the Maxi HUnters. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9154 Times on 3953 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

Not a flint, but shoot a .50 T/C Renegade. Great rifle. I use 90 grs of fffG and a .50 maxi. The old rough rule of thumb was up to bore diameter in powder for a pistol, up to double the bore diameter for a rifle. The most accurate load is usually a skosh less than that. More than that, you are just blowing unburned powder downrange.

Rate of twist for your rifle may like round ball more than maxis, but give it a try and see what it likes to be fed. I have tried pillow ticking for patches- but old cotton T shirts also work. Bore Butter is good- but have also used Crisco with decent results. Have fun, wear your eye protection.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #3

I borrowed a budies last season and was shooting 80 Gr. FF with Maxi- Hunters and had a nice group at 50 yds. Every rifle is different but I am imagining that this gun has a 1/48 twist. Is there a way to check what the twist is??? I bought this gun used and the seller didn't know. Didn't get a chance to shoot round balls. Rounds balls are 100 Grs. less so will I use less powder?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9154 Times on 3953 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

Easy to measure twist. Snug fitting greased patch on a cleaning rod- slide all the way down barrel. Use a bit of tape wrapped around rod near the top end with the end of the tape sticking out like a short flag. Note where the tape points- that is 12 o'clock. Mark the rod at the muzzle with a magic marker. Gently, smoothly withdraw rod, allowing it to rotate. Flag tape will rotate- when it comes back around one full circle, stop, mark rod again. Measure distance between two marks- that is ONE tun in however many inches. For slow twist/short barrels, same procedure, but flag movement from 12 oclock to 6 o'clock- mark, measure, then DOUBLE the distance measured.

Or you could be a wimp and email T/C customer service and ask them!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #5

I have owned and shot both for a few years (30+0). I had great luck with both. The caplock shot 120 FF bp, 100FFF bp under the T/C Maxi. It would shoot P pyrodex good too, at 100 grains just as well. I am not telling you these will work in yours,but man they did great in my rifle. The group would be no more than 3 inches at 200 yards, off a rest. I felt it was as good as any 30/30, and did out shoot some just to show that it would.

My flint would not do as good, but it was close, but I never could shoot it as good as the cap, the lag time threw me off, plus if a deer looked at you when you fired, the would react at times, plus I didnt trust it in the rain.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #6

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman50plus View Post

My flint would not do as good, but it was close, but I never could shoot it as good as the cap, the lag time threw me off, plus if a deer looked at you when you fired, the would react at times,

A good flinter will fire as quickly as a caplock. No lag.