Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   T/C 50 Cal. Hawken Flintlock Loads??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/t-c-50-cal-hawken-flintlock-loads-24319/)

Steelersfan 03-07-2010 11:43 AM

T/C 50 Cal. Hawken Flintlock Loads???

I just got what I feel was a good deal on a T/c 50 Cal. Flint. Never been fired clean as the day it was purchased for $260.00. I can't wait to get it dirty and then use it during the PA late flintlock season. I also just picked up some FFFF and FF powder and 175 gr. round balls and 275 Gr. Maxi Hunters. I am wondering if any of you shoot the same gun and what loads you have used with the round balls and the Maxi HUnters. Thanks.

c3shooter 03-07-2010 12:43 PM

Not a flint, but shoot a .50 T/C Renegade. Great rifle. I use 90 grs of fffG and a .50 maxi. The old rough rule of thumb was up to bore diameter in powder for a pistol, up to double the bore diameter for a rifle. The most accurate load is usually a skosh less than that. More than that, you are just blowing unburned powder downrange.

Rate of twist for your rifle may like round ball more than maxis, but give it a try and see what it likes to be fed. I have tried pillow ticking for patches- but old cotton T shirts also work. Bore Butter is good- but have also used Crisco with decent results. Have fun, wear your eye protection.

Steelersfan 03-08-2010 09:50 PM

I borrowed a budies last season and was shooting 80 Gr. FF with Maxi- Hunters and had a nice group at 50 yds. Every rifle is different but I am imagining that this gun has a 1/48 twist. Is there a way to check what the twist is??? I bought this gun used and the seller didn't know. Didn't get a chance to shoot round balls. Rounds balls are 100 Grs. less so will I use less powder?

c3shooter 03-08-2010 10:29 PM

Easy to measure twist. Snug fitting greased patch on a cleaning rod- slide all the way down barrel. Use a bit of tape wrapped around rod near the top end with the end of the tape sticking out like a short flag. Note where the tape points- that is 12 o'clock. Mark the rod at the muzzle with a magic marker. Gently, smoothly withdraw rod, allowing it to rotate. Flag tape will rotate- when it comes back around one full circle, stop, mark rod again. Measure distance between two marks- that is ONE tun in however many inches. For slow twist/short barrels, same procedure, but flag movement from 12 oclock to 6 o'clock- mark, measure, then DOUBLE the distance measured.

Or you could be a wimp and email T/C customer service and ask them! :D

Catman50plus 05-31-2010 11:16 PM

I have owned and shot both for a few years (30+0). I had great luck with both. The caplock shot 120 FF bp, 100FFF bp under the T/C Maxi. It would shoot P pyrodex good too, at 100 grains just as well. I am not telling you these will work in yours,but man they did great in my rifle. The group would be no more than 3 inches at 200 yards, off a rest. I felt it was as good as any 30/30, and did out shoot some just to show that it would.

My flint would not do as good, but it was close, but I never could shoot it as good as the cap, the lag time threw me off, plus if a deer looked at you when you fired, the would react at times, plus I didnt trust it in the rain.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hawg 06-01-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catman50plus (Post 292985)

My flint would not do as good, but it was close, but I never could shoot it as good as the cap, the lag time threw me off, plus if a deer looked at you when you fired, the would react at times,

A good flinter will fire as quickly as a caplock. No lag.