Stupid revolver nipples

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Stupid revolver nipples

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 106 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Stupid revolver nipples

Just got my spare cylinder the other day for my Pietta 58 rem. I loaded both cylinders and went out to kill a paper target. First using the cylinder that came with the gun everything went as planned and the target suffered for it. I switched cylinders, shot once and five caps vanished into the snow. Just the recoil sent them flying. Sooo, do I get used to pinching caps, try to order a thousand #10's or just get new nipples that will hold #11's?? Anybody else with this issue and what did you do?

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I pinch the caps. After just a few. You'll figure out how much to pinch. Not bad once ya get the hang of it.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
KAB

Default Remingtons

[QUOTE=thdrduck;678837]Just got my spare cylinder the other day for my Pietta 58 rem. I loaded both cylinders and went out to kill a paper target. First using the cylinder that came with the gun everything went as planned and the target suffered for it. I switched cylinders, shot once and five caps vanished into the snow. Just the recoil sent them flying. Sooo, do I get used to pinching caps, try to order a thousand #10's or jus

Remington 1858's take #10's ....
Pinching 11's is fine as long as it doesn't leave a rediculous amount of gap on your nipple/cap when its on , or Chain fire can and will happen

Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #4

Liked 113 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default the hassle or piece of mind?

I used to pinch nipples, some even stayd on during firing, some'd come loose during firing, it seemd that was when my chain fires occored, in the end I just choose a tight fitting cap, they seem to have less tendency of coming loose after firing and rattling down in the hammer recess and jambing the revolver.

Announcements

Track of the Wolf - Nipples

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #5

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Rex, don't go around pinching nipples okay? That seems to be frowned upon in polite society. Just don't want you to learn the same way I did.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #6

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Does a chain fire not totally ruin a gun? I keep hearing about them, and it doesn't sound as I would expect it. When I think of a chain fire, I imagine the cylinder and frame exploding.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
KAB

Default Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Does a chain fire not totally ruin a gun? I keep hearing about them, and it doesn't sound as I would expect it. When I think of a chain fire, I imagine the cylinder and frame exploding.

Trip , from personal experience , mine and my friend Mikes too , it did not ruin either gun . Mikes revolver was and is an 1851 Brass Frame Colt that he never uses grease or wads and has chain fired more times than he can count . I think Hawg here on the forum has an 1858 that used to do the same thing too . The only wear Mikes revolver after all that abuse is a slightly bent barrel to frame engagement but the revolver is fine . That revolver has sent a lead ball into the frame , wedge , and ball just splatters and seprates , not blowing up anything . It finds its nearest point of exit is the point . Nothing of ill happened to mine either, another 1851 , steel frame. Unlike Mike I use proper fitting balls and caps now
I honestly have never seen a modern repro blow up from it , nor do I think that can even happen ? It would take an extreme amount of pressure to break a Colt wedge or bust a frame of an 1858 Remington .
Lesson for the day is , YOU DONT WANT A CHAIN FIRE ON ONE , so try to avoid it . They are not prone to chainfires anyway , thats total BS if you use proper caps and balls and grease . I have never had a chainfire in thousands of rounds with proper fitting balls and caps and grease It can happen though if your balls aint tight , or your caps are loose or ill fitting . Not good , but absolutely avoidable . I even know a guy that carries a bottle of womans nail pollish to the range and drops a drop around the nipples everytime he loads his . In guns , there really isnt anything tooooo safe to do is there

Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB View Post
,. I even know a guy that carries a bottle of womans nail pollish to the range and drops a drop around the nipples everytime he loads his . In guns , there really isnt anything tooooo safe to do is there
Hmmmm. "SMOKEPOLE DAVE'S NIPPLE POLISH"

Should be a market niche there---somewhere------

Old 01-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
KAB

Default Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Hmmmm. "SMOKEPOLE DAVE'S NIPPLE POLISH"

Should be a market niche there---somewhere------

Hmmmm , I think you might be onto something there Bill

Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you caress them just right, they will swell to fit.