Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Stupid revolver nipples (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/stupid-revolver-nipples-55603/)

thdrduck 01-16-2012 04:46 PM

Stupid revolver nipples

Just got my spare cylinder the other day for my Pietta 58 rem. I loaded both cylinders and went out to kill a paper target. First using the cylinder that came with the gun everything went as planned and the target suffered for it. I switched cylinders, shot once and five caps vanished into the snow. Just the recoil sent them flying. Sooo, do I get used to pinching caps, try to order a thousand #10's or just get new nipples that will hold #11's?? Anybody else with this issue and what did you do?

towboater 01-16-2012 06:56 PM

I pinch the caps. After just a few. You'll figure out how much to pinch. Not bad once ya get the hang of it.

KAB 01-16-2012 10:55 PM

Remingtons

[QUOTE=thdrduck;678837]Just got my spare cylinder the other day for my Pietta 58 rem. I loaded both cylinders and went out to kill a paper target. First using the cylinder that came with the gun everything went as planned and the target suffered for it. I switched cylinders, shot once and five caps vanished into the snow. Just the recoil sent them flying. Sooo, do I get used to pinching caps, try to order a thousand #10's or jus;)

Remington 1858's take #10's ....;)
Pinching 11's is fine as long as it doesn't leave a rediculous amount of gap on your nipple/cap when its on , or Chain fire can and will happen :eek:

Rex in OTZ 01-17-2012 04:17 AM

the hassle or piece of mind?

I used to pinch nipples, some even stayd on during firing, some'd come loose during firing, it seemd that was when my chain fires occored, in the end I just choose a tight fitting cap, they seem to have less tendency of coming loose after firing and rattling down in the hammer recess and jambing the revolver.

Announcements

Track of the Wolf - Nipples

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

trip286 01-17-2012 04:47 AM

Rex, don't go around pinching nipples okay? That seems to be frowned upon in polite society. Just don't want you to learn the same way I did. :)

trip286 01-17-2012 04:49 AM

Does a chain fire not totally ruin a gun? I keep hearing about them, and it doesn't sound as I would expect it. When I think of a chain fire, I imagine the cylinder and frame exploding.

KAB 01-17-2012 11:37 AM

Trip

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 679568)
Does a chain fire not totally ruin a gun? I keep hearing about them, and it doesn't sound as I would expect it. When I think of a chain fire, I imagine the cylinder and frame exploding.

Trip , from personal experience , mine and my friend Mikes too , it did not ruin either gun . Mikes revolver was and is an 1851 Brass Frame Colt that he never uses grease or wads and has chain fired more times than he can count . I think Hawg here on the forum has an 1858 that used to do the same thing too . The only wear Mikes revolver after all that abuse is a slightly bent barrel to frame engagement but the revolver is fine . That revolver has sent a lead ball into the frame , wedge , and ball just splatters and seprates , not blowing up anything . It finds its nearest point of exit is the point . Nothing of ill happened to mine either, another 1851 , steel frame. Unlike Mike I use proper fitting balls and caps now ;)
I honestly have never seen a modern repro blow up from it , nor do I think that can even happen ? It would take an extreme amount of pressure to break a Colt wedge or bust a frame of an 1858 Remington .
Lesson for the day is , YOU DONT WANT A CHAIN FIRE ON ONE , so try to avoid it :D . They are not prone to chainfires anyway , thats total BS if you use proper caps and balls and grease . I have never had a chainfire in thousands of rounds with proper fitting balls and caps and grease ;) It can happen though if your balls aint tight , or your caps are loose or ill fitting . Not good , but absolutely avoidable . I even know a guy that carries a bottle of womans nail pollish to the range and drops a drop around the nipples everytime he loads his . In guns , there really isnt anything tooooo safe to do is there ;)

BillM 01-17-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAB (Post 679662)
,. I even know a guy that carries a bottle of womans nail pollish to the range and drops a drop around the nipples everytime he loads his . In guns , there really isnt anything tooooo safe to do is there ;)

Hmmmm. "SMOKEPOLE DAVE'S NIPPLE POLISH"

Should be a market niche there---somewhere------:rolleyes:

KAB 01-17-2012 11:02 PM

Hmmmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM (Post 680136)
Hmmmm. "SMOKEPOLE DAVE'S NIPPLE POLISH"

Should be a market niche there---somewhere------:rolleyes:

Hmmmm , I think you might be onto something there Bill :D

TimKS 01-17-2012 11:37 PM

If you caress them just right, they will swell to fit. ;)