starter gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > starter gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default starter gun

Hi, I am brand new to black powder rifles, and I was wondering what a good starter gun would be. I would kind of like a long rifle, but I can definitely compromise there depending on how expensive they are. My budget is about $250, and I am planning on finding something used. What should I look for? Thanks for your feedback!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Before we get too involved, you should stop by the "Introductions" thread and introduce yourself to the rest of the forum. Now, depending on what you wish to do, there are two choices you need to make:
1. Traditional Sidelock percussion, or
2. Inline

I'm a traditionalist, so all of my BP arms are muzzleloading sidelocks and Colt reproductions. Many I purchased during the 80's when CVA was in the business of selling kits cheaply. Their traditional line of BP arms was bought-out by Traditions. You can get a reasonably priced Traditions basic .50 cal. rifle for under $200. Pick up a Cabela's catalog, they have a nice variety of both traditional and in-line BP guns. Dixie Gun Works specializes in BP firearms, but is generally very expensive. MidSouthShooters.Com has some Traditions guns priced very reasonably. Welcome to FTF!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 AM   #3

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Don't overlook the Investarms/Cabela's Hawken's. They're not anything like a real Hawken but for the money they can't be beat. I like Investarms better than CVA because of the snail breech opposed to the drum breech of CVA. Either one and you're good to go tho.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:50 AM   #4

thanks for the quick reply guys, I am interested in traditional percussion rifles.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgansen View Post
thanks for the quick reply guys, I am interested in traditional percussion rifles.
These are traditional styled rifles. Everybody calls them Hawkens trying to cash in on the name but they're actually fairly decent copies of plains or trade rifles in use during the fur trade and later.

This may very well be the grandfather of the modern so called Hawken.

1875 Tryon trade rifle.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Everyone seems to be buying the latest golly-gee in line #209 primer setup- with the result that the traditional percussion cap side hammer rifles are fairly cheap.

Would check around auctionarms.com, and gunbroker.com, and look for a .50 or .54 cal rifle. Have seen a few of the Thompson/Center Renegades for under $200. They are very accurate, double set triggers, very nicely finished rifles. Check the feedback from the seller before bidding.

In MOST states a traditional muzzleloader can be shipped directly to you without having to go thru a dealer, but you will need to provide seller with proof you are at least 18 (driver's license copy, etc).

I have .45 Pennsylvania style long rifle, but hunt with a .50 Renegade. It will put 3 rounds in a circle you can cover with a Ritz cracker at 100 yds.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #7

With the game laws here you can't hardly find an inline(not that I'd look for one).Everybody wants H&R Handi Rifles to hunt with now. Anybody interested in muzzleloading usually wants a sidelock and they're not cheap. Gunbroker probably would be the best bet.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

One up for sale at gunbroker now- $200 with no bids, plus $25 shipping, 3 days to go. Not mine- looks decent, take a look- Thompson Center Renegade, .50 cal (Z1475) : Black Powder / Muzzle loading at GunBroker.com

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.