Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > The standard infantry weapon during the Revolution was a flintlock musket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default The standard infantry weapon during the Revolution was a flintlock musket

The standard infantry weapon during the Revolution was a flintlock musket called a what?

I had this question on my stupid homework along witha bunch of others

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome to the forum. Stop by the introductions area and let everyone know you're here. What kind of homework? Do you own a couple of hotels?

I'm not a history buff but wasn't the brown bess the most common flintlock of that time period?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8382 Times on 3627 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You may be looking for the term Brown Bess. This was the informal term for the Land Pattern British Musket, which was used by both sides. US forces also used French, British, and locally made hunting rifles. Welcome, hang around, and be advised I do homework for very reasonable prices.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yup--Brown Bess is probably what you are looking for. Nickname for
the standard issue long gun for one side--the British.

There was no one standard issue gun for the American side. Captured
British guns, guns purchased from anybody that would sell them,
fowling pieces (shotguns), guns made from scratch by any number of local makers. Pretty much whatever musket/rifle/whatever that was at hand.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Captured British guns, guns purchased from anybody that would sell them,
fowling pieces (shotguns), guns made from scratch by any number of local makers. Pretty much whatever musket/rifle/whatever that was at hand.
That's why gun confiscation will never really work here....

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #6

Thank you c3, and to hotelsincarmel, I'm in high school. Do your homework dude, dont be an idiot, remember everything you can. I'm on these forums because I want to learn, and help people to learn about firearms, shooting, etc. I love to learn and be able to communicate with older people in a sophisticated way. Thank you for at least wanting to know what the Brown Bess was. And welcome...

Old 07-31-2010, 04:30 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Muskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey Wales '94 View Post
Thank you c3, and to hotelsincarmel, I'm in high school. Do your homework dude, dont be an idiot, remember everything you can. I'm on these forums because I want to learn, and help people to learn about firearms, shooting, etc. I love to learn and be able to communicate with older people in a sophisticated way. Thank you for at least wanting to know what the Brown Bess was. And welcome...
I know there were several models of Brown Bess around, the earliest being the Long Land Pattern, but there were several variants of that. There are books on Bess variants. The Brits used these and so did the Americans. I believe Americans who fought in the French and Indian War were actually given Besses to keep by the British government and these too were used later by us in the Revolution.

Additionally there were "Committee of Safety Muskets"
(See American Made Muskets of the American Revolution (by George Neumann)) There are a couple of great books out there today on Brown Besses.

The Brits also used something called the Ferguson Rifle, a breech loading rifle designed by Patrick Ferguson, the Commander in Chief of the British forces killed at King's Mountain. But the number used was very small, as the British military brass rejected them despite a demonstration of their efficiency.

The colonists began getting shipments of French Charleville Muskets before France officially entered the war and more later after the French declared war.

Supposedly the Charlevilles were lighter than the Besses and had stronger hammers less likely to break in combat.

American militia units and Rifle corps used flintlock rifles made by various American gun makers and Hessian units also included riflemen using German Jaeger style rifles which were the ancestral type of gun to the Pennsylvania Rifle used by the American Riflemen.

Google is your friend and there are lots of links there but I guess you wrote your paper already and the other posters also gave you a lot of information.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotelsincarmel View Post
The standard infantry weapon during the Revolution was a flintlock musket called a what?

I had this question on my stupid homework along witha bunch of others
Why do you think this is a stupid question? Part of homework my friend is to learn how to apply yourself and seek out the correct answer. You could have easily done a search for "weapons of the American Revolution" and no doubt would have found the answer reading about the ARW. Do some research, get involved and learn how your country came about through what was used on the battle field. You might fined it interesting what you learn.

Joe
NRA, NMLRA

Old 08-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
tac

There were many types of muskets .
(1) The Fusil 62cal in the 1690s. French Musket

(2) The Charleville 69cal. 1777. French Musket .

(3) The Potzdam 75cal. 1740s. German Musket.

Here is a few hope this helps .TAC

Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
RMc

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default With all this information....

...your teacher may not want to ask such a wide open question in the future.

Your willingness to research this question rather than settle for the "textbook" answer may gain your teacher's respect.

Education is not what you are taught, but rather what you choose to learn.