Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > St. Etienne Musket Reproduction or Real?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default St. Etienne Musket Reproduction or Real?

I recently inherited some guns and came across this ST. Etienne muzzle loader. Its in real good condition so I cant tell if its real or a reproduction. Any help as to year and value would be great.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #2

Liked 621 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I don't know a great deal about them but I do know that if that is the real thing then it is in AMAZING condition for it's age for what I've seen in the past. A-****ing-mazing. I do know that the a lot of them had an 18mm bore diameter. Some where near the butt on the right side (could be wrong, may be left side. Going by an old scotch drounded memory) it should have a stamp reading "Felix Escoffier" and the year made. I'm thinking they stopped making them in 1873 or 1874; Thinking 73.
As for the value, I dunno. But I would be willing to take it off your hands; real deal or not. That thing's just too big and will take up far too much space. You don't need that around your home and I care enough to help you out on this one.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Last edited by CourtJester; 10-22-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

difficult to tell from this picture ,personaly I think this is a replica but I need to see pictures of the barrel stamps to be sure

Last edited by Reinhard; 10-25-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #4

Liked 65 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It's not an original. Could be a pedersoli, they made copies of the French muskets. Looks like their copy of the 1777 Revolutionnaire.
Category Details - Davide Pedersoli & C.

BTW St. Etienne is a city not a manufacturer.