Source of Lead
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Source of Lead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Source of Lead

Does anyone know of a good place to get ammunition grade lead in order to create lead balls out of it for shooting?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Default Lead

I presume you are referring to soft lead for muzzle loading bullets. IMHO wheel weights are too hard for that application. You need soft/virgin lead. The best source is pipe jackets. The metal thingies that go around the vent pipes that protrude from your roof. These are virgin lead. Find a roofer in your area. He likely gets a few each week from re-roof jobs. You also might check with the local metal recycling center. They may buy those jackets from the roofer and sell to you. Should not be very expensive.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #3

Default to lead or not to lead

I have found fishing weights work pretty good but if you are lucky enough to have a good small muzzle loading shop near you they get lead by bulk and you can gret it fairly cheap those you sometimes need to add a bit of tin as you dont really want your lead to soft as it can floul a barrel a bit faster and it can even break aprart before impact if it is to soft and you use a heavy powder charge....... Now I aint no expert at this but I have been muzzle loading for aprox 25 years.......

Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #4

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Stick on wheel weights are 99.5% pure lead with a BHN of 6.(pure lead is 5) Close enough you can't tell the difference and neither can your muzzleoader. Clip on weights are too hard

Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Make sure if you do use wheel weights that they are lead. Some are zinc.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

The Zinc weights melt at significantly higher temp than lead or lead alloy. I don't worry too much about them because they will simpy float on top of the molten lead to be skimmed off. As far as stick on weights, I have noticed a huge disparity in the hardness of these weights. The ones that are thin and segmented seem to be the purest lead. I have found others that are nearly as hard as clip on weights. I segregate and melt them seperately. The fluxed ingots get marked with a sharpie so I can make pretty repeatable alloys.

Typical muzzle loader bullets are 20-1 alloy of lead to tin. Tin can be obtained at plumbing supply stores in the form of 1lb 50/50 solder bars. Two bars and 19 lbs of virgin lead is perfect.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #7

Liked 2028 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

The recycling center in my area sells pure lead and lead alloys for pretty cheap. Something like $.50 a pound if I remember correctly. They also sell once fired brass for around a dollar a pound. You have to sort throught the brass yourself. But I bought a bunch of 38 special, 30-06 and some 308 win for almost nothing. I think I paid around $1.50 for a bag full.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My family and I are currently taking care of buisness in the basement. We found a lot of lead pipe, a whole lot. It is also very soft for some reason....

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 06-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

While there is good info here, I hope that nobody thinks they are helping the OP's question. The question is less than a month away from being 3 years old...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/source-lead-1157/#post4158

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 06-13-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #10

Liked 2028 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
While there is good info here, I hope that nobody thinks they are helping the OP's question. The question is less than a month away from being 3 years old...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/source-lead-1157/#post4158
Oops. Uh, I ...nevermind.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.