Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   So, I've got this "Kentucky Long Rifle" (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/so-ive-got-kentucky-long-rifle-60910/)

kyhoti 03-23-2012 04:48 PM

So, I've got this "Kentucky Long Rifle"

I recently got back one of my very first firearms purchases: an '80's-era CVA Kentucky Long Rifle kit. It's been sitting forgotten in storage since '88 when I left it there, unbuilt. So of course, once I verified that I had all the pieces, I built it. All of the parts fit like they should, and the mechanical stuff all does what it's supposed to do. Now my question is, should I shoot the darn thing? I've heard bits and pieces on and off over the years about older CVA barrels splitting etc, but finding out the actual dates of mfg/models affected has been like chasing ghost farts. Anyone out there with an opinion, or better yet, the real skinny?

Oh, yeah ETA: I also got back my first built BP gun, one of the CVA .36 Navy Colt replicas from the '80s. It was a solid block of rust from sitting next to the rifle kit in storage. After a couple of days bathing in a noxious pool of various solvents, I managed to get everything hammered apart, sanded down and back together. Other than what ended up being some pretty patina, everything seems solid as well. It used to be a great shooter back in my teen years when Reagan was in office. so. Ditto here, do I light off this baby, or leave it as a shop decoration?

mountainman13 03-23-2012 08:42 PM

You may want to have them examined by a gunsmith. That said, start with a light load and give her a try. If you have a gun vise I would lock the gun in and pull the trigger via paracord if I were that worried. If you give me the calibers I can suggest some light loads for you.

orangello 03-23-2012 09:07 PM

PICSSSSS! of the rifle

HockaLouis 03-24-2012 09:42 PM

The pistol barrel and cylinder are easy to see. Get a light you drop down the rifle bore to see if there is pitting in there too. Then shoot 'em if OK, or not....

303tom 03-25-2012 03:07 AM

So is it Flint or Percussion ?

kyhoti 03-26-2012 01:34 PM

It's percussion, .45 cal; and as to pics, I'm not posting any until I figure out if it's a shooter or not. Why, you ask? I said it was built, but it ain't pretty. I built to "rough-out" stage, took off the sharp edges etc, and made sure it's not going to rattle apart, but I don't want to invest any more time for a piece of wall art.

The pistol (a .36) has a dark bore, from an over-all fine layer of rust being removed, but no actual pitting that I can see. I tried using an old bore scope that I have in the shop, but the light is shot on it and I've forgotten how to change it. Figuring out a work-around (sooner or later).

Thanks for the replies y'all.