Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > single shot gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default single shot gun

Hello everybody. I'm 17 from Kosovo. I'm far away from any chance of having firearm, but I really wish to have one. I've made a home made single shot pistol. I found a fine steel pipe-inner diameter 8mm, wall thickness-4mm. It kinda reminds me of 357 sig barrel. The gun uses pyrotechnic ignitor and 3 ni-cd batteries. It looks like HK usp compact. Currently I fill it with 1/3 home made black powder(perchlorate instead of nitrate) It penetrates more then 5cm of wood and the recoil is much stranger then glock19. It hurts after the shot. I plan making desert eagle also and a bayonet rifle. My question is how do I find out how much powder is safe. I cant get any data on internal ballistics. Sons of guns on discovery doesn't show any real gunsmithing at all, its a worthless show. Here I may go to jail if I create a device with uses combat ammunition to produce wounding effect(cant remember the exact definition) but if it doesn't use ammunition its not considered a weapon. You guys have the experience so Ill be grateful for any advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7585 Times on 3302 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Impossible for us to give you an actual answer. There are too many variables here- the strength of the metal used for a barrel (and how the barrel is closed), the weight and fit of a projectile, and the energy of the home made powder.

Please remember there is a very fine line of difference between a firearm and a hand grenade. Not a safe practice if you want to make it to 18.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

racer_x Likes This 
Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I also have 0.50cal pipe. Wall thickness-8mm. That's quite a lot I think. I can try to load for 20kj shot. It only takes 20g powder. But I want a gun not a remote cannon

Old 01-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hinawa revolver of the Edo era

Hinawa revolver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Edo period - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Who woulda thought of Japanese Samurai carrying these around before Sam colt and the percussion cap fired revolver?
The arquebus, a matchlock gun, was introduced by the Portuguese via a Chinese pirate ship in 1543 and the Japanese succeeded in assimilating it within a decade. Groups of mercenaries with mass-produced arquebuses began playing a critical role.
By the end of the Sengoku Period, several hundred thousand firearms existed in Japan and massive armies numbering over 100,000 clashed in battles.
In 1592, and again in 1597, Toyotomi Hideyoshi decided to invade China (唐入り) through Korea and mobilized an army of 160,000 peasants and samurai.(See Hideyoshi's invasions of Korea, 朝鮮征伐.) Taking advantage of its mastery of the arquebus, Japanese samurai made major gains in most of Korea (Kato Kiyomasa did in fact enter Manchuria, but withdrew when it was clear he had outpaced the rest of the Japanese invasion force), but were unable to advance all the way through Korea into China due to the Japanese navy's defeats at sea at the hands of the Korean navy (resulting in the Japanese supply lines being severed) and the entry of Ming Chinese troops into Korea. A few of the more famous samurai generals of this war were Katō Kiyomasa, Konishi Yukinaga, and Shimazu Yoshihiro.
Oda Nobunaga revolutionized musket tactics in Japan by splitting loaders and shooters and assigning three guns to a shooter at the Battle of Nagashino in 1575. (Popular records stating he used a Maurice-style three-line formation are incorrect according to onsite evidence.) While many believe that during the Sakoku the political power of the samurai led to muskets being banned in Japan, this is a misconception brought on by romantic views. In actuality, the Japanese were fully capable of manufacturing their own muskets, and the shogunate even created several political positions to oversee their manufacture and inventory. These guns would be widely used during Hideyoshi's unification of Japan and later the Japanese invasions of Korea in 1592.
http://www.japaneseguns.com/master_guns/images/93.html
Attached Thumbnails

Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default rolling your own

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

As a kid I salvaged the projectiles and propellant from dud roman candles and had all sorts of primer experiments with the volitile tip solution of the strike anywhere match.
turns out to be pretty stout stuff to use in home made cannon.

Why dont you buy a Dixie Gun Works assemble it yourself percussion handgun?
percussion caps were easy enuf to make by hand......Takes allot of time though, involves useing Kids paper cap gun caps and cups you form your self from disc's of metal cut from a soft drink can and a paper punch, using a wood board with a series of progressively deeper holes one can fashon passible percussion caps that way.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 01-12-2012 at 09:58 PM.
racer_x Likes This 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7585 Times on 3302 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Rex- did you miss the part about being in Kosovo? Or the part about being 17?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Its Kosovo not the stone age

Yes I even know where Kosovo is on the map, I knew even before today, as for 17? mabe thats a issue in New Jersey or California, I was making corncob hand gernades and firing them behind hen house before I was old enuf to attend to Highschool.

I'd say try and give the young fellow in Kosovo as much support as we can.
We dont want him breaking any laws there, he may be the next John Browning for all we know.
Some American carpenters use a gas powerd (ignition fired) nail gun that use a gas fuel cartridge and a electric firing mechanism to fire nails in lumber.
Paslode® Nails Performance

If I can help nukemall 235 with finding ways to operate within the limitations he is forced to endure, I'll do my very best to help with ideas.
its ashame American's are so tight lipped about helping a Kosovo lad with some wholesome recreation.

Piezo ignition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I seen a youtube vid of two Russian Guys firing a PVC Plastic Spudgun (potato gun)

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 01-13-2012 at 02:45 AM.
racer_x Likes This 
Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually I have two weapons on that principle as home defence weapons. I'm into them for like 5 years. I'll just say for my last two-light, totally cheap, totally reliable, 400j+ shots. Only problem is the oversized length. If I make it look more like an assault rifle it'll have the power of 0.22 at best. If I make it like a pistol-no better then a nice air gun.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner

Liked 621 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Don't do anything against the law. I don't know what type of punishments they give people in Kosovo, but it's in eastern Europe so I assume it isn't fun, don't do anything without being 10000000000000000% sure, I repeat 10000000000000000% sure that what you're doing is legal.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

What brought this up?

No offense and none taken