Side lock smokepoles - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Side lock smokepoles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Nine cents?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #12

I use a TC Hawkins 54cal, Pedersoli Pennsylvania long rifle and a CVA SXS12 gauge. Got all the categories covered. I have an original 1857 3band enfield. i have shot at the range, see avatar. Might take it hunting. Would love to have a 45-70 breech loader. I do have a trapdoor conversion. It is in very good shape. The only thing bad about it is......finding 45-70 rounds, at a fair price. Anybody have a good site for 45-70.
Thanks in advance.
Muzzlesmoke

MUZZLESMOKE If you shoot black powder shoot it out of Pedersoli.....
Laws are spider webs; they hold the weak and delicate who are caught in their meshes, but are torn in pieces by the rich and powerful. OUR GOVERNMENT

Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Muzzlesmoke, are you looking for modern smokeless .45-70 rounds, or Black Powder .45-70 rounds?

Midway has both, Goex for the BP rounds and many options on smokeless

Ammunition - Shop Premium & Discount Ammunition at MidwayUSA

TXnorton

Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #14

TXnorton, Thanks for the site. I should load my own. I do my own round balls.
Takes a little more equipment to reload. But the price is not bad, I have been paying about $2.25 a round. The only time I shoot it is when I have people over and we are going to the range. Then when everybody sees at the range. They also want to shoot it. Which being the proud PaPa I let them.
Thanks

Laws are spider webs; they hold the weak and delicate who are caught in their meshes, but are torn in pieces by the rich and powerful. OUR GOVERNMENT

Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #15

[QUOTE=W. C. Quantrill;199864 Now, this is not to say that I recommend to anyone to take 200 yard shots with your muzzleloader. Some may get a kill and most will get a crippled animal. The point here is that these rifles are accurate, but judgement is expected when hunting with them. I regularly make kills with this rifle at 100 yards. I am confident that it would also kill a buck at 200, but, I choose not to hunt at that distance.[/QUOTE]

Very good point. Just because you can, should you? My thoughts as well.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:14 AM   #16

Default 45-70 bullets

TXnorton,

Thanks for the heads up about web site. I have already found some here in town. I only have 20rd and I reload now. I just shoot it for fun, so I don't need a lot. I'm going out tomorrow and shoot it. Also taking some new finds with me. Tomorrow will be the warmest day we had for a long time. Going to go early in the mourning. And stay all day.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #17

Default Sidelocks

As for me my like minded friends, I am 46 years old and have been building and hunting with smokepoles since I was 16. I have owned several inlines over the years and now am down to just one, it has never been fired. I hunt everything from squirrels to ducks to deer, all with a sidelock ( you should see the reactions I get when I show up at the duck blind or the dove fields with my 10 gauge side by side ) and have never felt at a disadvantage for doing so. I am partial to .54 calibers because I shoot roundballs a a general rule, but do cast my own conicals for when I hunt with my rifles of the proper twist. It has always been my long belief that " Hunting is not about how far you can shoot, but rather, how close you can get".

Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #18

Default Down and DIRTY

I have a in-line as well as a side lock and I prefer shooting the old side lock as it feels a bit more comfy to me My in-line is very accurate out to a hundred and fifty yards with 125 grains of Hodgon Pyodex it is a bit dirty and I need to clean the bore after a couple shots I normaly shoot lead balls but when I am reaching out to those itty bitty targets way out there ( Paper ) I have trouble seeing that far but I tend to lean on my in-line for those shots as for the rest of my shooting I always seem to head back to my side lock preccusion rifle and when I am in the mountains I carry a pair of 44 cal. revolvers both are cap and ball so with them and my 5o cal rifle I have my possible bag and I enjoy the area as well as some fine shooting...

Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #19

I agree with the getting in close I am 53 years young and also partly disabled with a bad knee but I still seem to be able to get withing 75 to 100 yards of a nice buck when I am hunting I cast my own mini balls the old fashion way I try to stick to the origanal ways as possible I even go so far as to lube my patches with bacon grease smells pretty good at the range as well LOL

Old 06-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #20

Default Most fun to shoot!

I have an old 'Frankenstein' ky rifle and a Pennsylvania rifle, both in flint. My grandson LOVES to go shooting with me. Make our own balls from wheel weights over the campfires. I shoot a lot of rifles and handguns too, but we enjoy the old flintlocks the best.

Regards,
Brig.