Side lock smokepoles
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Side lock smokepoles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Side lock smokepoles

For the last seven years I have gotten into shooting black powder guns. I really like the traditional side locks. For the last five years, from May 1st until October 1st, we have an informal jackpot shoot every other Sunday afternoon at my place. At these play days the in-line people outnumber us want-to-be Daniel Boons ten to one. I know that in some places you can’t hunt with in-lines but I would like to know how many members hunt with the traditional rifles by choice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8825 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

T/C Renegade, 50 cal. While everyone is rushing to buy the newest in line 209 saboted, pelleted powder eating critter with a night vision scope- the traditional sidelock rifles are a drug on the market- they are going dirt cheap, and you can pick up NICE guns for very little money. I cast my own maxis, and they will flat ROLL a buck over at 200 yards.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Not yet, but soon (hopefully soon).

I am a fairly recent convert to BP. I intend to start working backwards with my next deer to taken by my .45-70 Sharps 1874 with home rolled BP cartridges. Then I'll try my .54 cal Hawken percussion, and then my .54 cal flintlock.

TXnorton

Old 11-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Opening day of muzzleloader season here in MN and it ended for me a half-hour after sunrise. Took a nice 8 pointer with my Traditions Shenandoah 50 cal at about 145 yards with open sights. Scopes not allowed here. Ninety grains of Pyrodex RS and a .015 patch. Not a gun this old man would care to carry through the woods much but perfect those longer shots from a stand. Had the 54 cal Hawkins with me just in case I needed a second shot but it was a clean kill. Dead on the spot. Only problem is now I have two guns to clean.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I hunt here in PA with an Austin Halleck .50 Flintlock Mt. Rifle.
The late season is flintlock only, but we have an early one week BP doe season that is anything goes--Inlines,scopes, etc. I still use my flintlock in the early season.
To me its just more fun and interesting using traditional BP rifles. I have considered a sidelock percussion for the early season. I dont enjoy inlines at all.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have been hunting with my side lock for 3 years and have taken three deer with my T/C Hawkens .50 two does and a ten point . We got skunked this year but I could have filled my tags one mounain bikers and joggers.
F.K.

ml.jpg  

Old 12-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

.53 cal Hawken. 60 inch twist, fires patched .520 balls or 339gr ballets equally well, and is severe on rams at 200. These pics taken at NRA Whittington Center after a shoot.

Now, this is not to say that I recommend to anyone to take 200 yard shots with your muzzleloader. Some may get a kill and most will get a crippled animal. The point here is that these rifles are accurate, but judgement is expected when hunting with them. I regularly make kills with this rifle at 100 yards. I am confident that it would also kill a buck at 200, but, I choose not to hunt at that distance.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is the groups I'm getting at 100 yrdsthe bull is not included I just reused an old target but the three with my thumb are the group.

2.jpg  

Old 12-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #9

Default whirley

I've live in central Pa. and hunted with flintlocks since 1977. I've used several flintlocks, and all were effective shooters. At the present time, because I wanted a carved stock and a musket style lock with 1 inch flint which makes lots of spark. I'm using a modified J.P. Beck style with 42 inch barrel in 45 cal. Custom barrel is from Beaver Springs Pa. Rifle balances very well. Load is 100 gr FFFg behind 127 gr round ball. Muzzle velocity last time I checked was slightly over 2100 fps on chrony. I zero at 125 yards, but shoot at 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards, so I know what bullet drop is over a 200 yard range. 200 yards is a very long shot in Penn. woods. Longest shot I've taken measured 143 yards with a rangefinder afterward, and deer dropped with a spine shot. I've learned to never shoot when a deer is looking at me. The spurt of smoke from the pan makes them jump, so the hit was through the back ribs instead of the shoulder. I had to track a deer about 300 yards because of that. I hunt in McKean county, over 2000 ft. elev. and there's always snow on the ground in January.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #10

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I hunt with a custom .54 Hawken and a 53 Enfield. I wouldn't give a dime for a 55 gallon drum full of inlines.