Shot my first muzzle loader today.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Shot my first muzzle loader today.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Shot my first muzzle loader today.

I went to the range today so I could shoot my 1911 for the first time and ended up meeting a guy who was shooting a .50 ML. After talking to him a bit I found out he was part of a local ML society. Man what a great guy, after about twenty minutes of talking he let me shoot his custom built .50 cal. I told him I had never shot one and he went through step by step on how to load it, arm it, balance it and then shoot it.

What a kick. I would have never thought a gun that goes bang every twenty minutes would be that much fun. All this and my experience paled in comparison to how beautiful this guys rifle was. Curly maple stock, engraved...receiver?, with hand made trigger, the piece that projects behind the trigger guard along with the guides for the rod and the rod end itself out of deer antler.

A lot of fun.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8882 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

And a nice side benny- under Federal law, that was not a firearm you were shooting. No limits on shipping, sales by mail etc etc.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've get the chance to shoot one here and there and every time I do I ask myself why I haven't bought one yet. maybe soon.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Welcome to the wonderful world of muzzleloading. Now you'll be wanting 1. I'd recommend you get a percussion for a 1st muzzleloader. With practice you'll be able to get 2-3 shots off per minute. Flintlocks are for when you get bitten by the bug bad and have some muzzleloading experience under your belt. At least that's just MY opinion.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Beware....You are entering dangerous territory. You can get very hooked on these "real" sidelock muzzleloaders. At first you will think I just need one...........

Agree 100% with Bear!

TXnorton

Old 03-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of muzzleloading. Now you'll be wanting 1. I'd recommend you get a percussion for a 1st muzzleloader. With practice you'll be able to get 2-3 shots off per minute. Flintlocks are for when you get bitten by the bug bad and have some muzzleloading experience under your belt. At least that's just MY opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
Beware....You are entering dangerous territory. You can get very hooked on these "real" sidelock muzzleloaders. At first you will think I just need one...........

Agree 100% with Bear!
I have already been looking at them on Cabelas site. I know I will not buy one from them, but they are the only site I know of that has a good selection to look at.

One thing the guys told was to look at percussion because for beginners a flint lock is more complicated.

I am really warming up to the idea, especially since you HAVE to learn all about the gun and ballistics. You can't just go to the store, buy a gun and ammo and start shooting.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #7

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I have already been looking at them on Cabelas site. I know I will not buy one from them
Why not? Bout the best prices you'll find. Oh and welcome to the dark side....We have cookies.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8882 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

FWIW, everybody has been running out to buy the newest golly-gee-whiz in-line 209 shotshell primer sabot shooting muzzleloaders- with the result that the traditional side lock #11 cap muzzleloaders are down in price- for the USED ones. Nice rifles like the TC Renegades, etc. Have heard some very discomforting things about the CVAs, but you might want to do some shopping at auctionarms and gunbroker.com. Since under Federal law a muzzle loader is an antique (even if made this afternoon) it does not have to go to a FFL holder- can be mailed to your door- so no transfer fees. Just a shipping fee.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:14 AM   #9

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Have you checked the price for a new TC tho?

Old 03-16-2010, 04:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
FWIW, everybody has been running out to buy the newest golly-gee-whiz in-line 209 shotshell primer sabot shooting muzzleloaders- with the result that the traditional side lock #11 cap muzzleloaders are down in price- for the USED ones. Nice rifles like the TC Renegades, etc. Have heard some very discomforting things about the CVAs, but you might want to do some shopping at auctionarms and gunbroker.com. Since under Federal law a muzzle loader is an antique (even if made this afternoon) it does not have to go to a FFL holder- can be mailed to your door- so no transfer fees. Just a shipping fee.
After reading JD's post on the new fangled designs, I'm not too hip on that idea. If I do I'll stick with your advice and use the tried and true design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Have you checked the price for a new TC tho?
I'm not familiar with name brands. All I've looked at are what Cabela's has to offer. I still have a lot of research to do.

thanks guys
Darin
Thomas Jefferson