Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Shot my first muzzle loader today. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/shot-my-first-muzzle-loader-today-24694/)

DarinCraft 03-15-2010 05:00 AM

Shot my first muzzle loader today.
 
I went to the range today so I could shoot my 1911 for the first time and ended up meeting a guy who was shooting a .50 ML. After talking to him a bit I found out he was part of a local ML society. Man what a great guy, after about twenty minutes of talking he let me shoot his custom built .50 cal.:eek: I told him I had never shot one and he went through step by step on how to load it, arm it, balance it and then shoot it.

What a kick. I would have never thought a gun that goes bang every twenty minutes would be that much fun.:D All this and my experience paled in comparison to how beautiful this guys rifle was. Curly maple stock, engraved...receiver?, with hand made trigger, the piece that projects behind the trigger guard along with the guides for the rod and the rod end itself out of deer antler.

A lot of fun.

c3shooter 03-15-2010 06:44 AM

And a nice side benny- under Federal law, that was not a firearm you were shooting. No limits on shipping, sales by mail etc etc.

spittinfire 03-15-2010 10:18 AM

I've get the chance to shoot one here and there and every time I do I ask myself why I haven't bought one yet. maybe soon.

stalkingbear 03-15-2010 03:21 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of muzzleloading. Now you'll be wanting 1. I'd recommend you get a percussion for a 1st muzzleloader. With practice you'll be able to get 2-3 shots off per minute. Flintlocks are for when you get bitten by the bug bad and have some muzzleloading experience under your belt. At least that's just MY opinion.

TXnorton 03-15-2010 03:46 PM

Beware....You are entering dangerous territory. You can get very hooked on these "real" sidelock muzzleloaders. At first you will think I just need one...........

Agree 100% with Bear!

DarinCraft 03-15-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 249007)
Welcome to the wonderful world of muzzleloading. Now you'll be wanting 1. I'd recommend you get a percussion for a 1st muzzleloader. With practice you'll be able to get 2-3 shots off per minute. Flintlocks are for when you get bitten by the bug bad and have some muzzleloading experience under your belt. At least that's just MY opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXnorton (Post 249031)
Beware....You are entering dangerous territory. You can get very hooked on these "real" sidelock muzzleloaders. At first you will think I just need one...........

Agree 100% with Bear!

I have already been looking at them on Cabelas site. I know I will not buy one from them, but they are the only site I know of that has a good selection to look at.

One thing the guys told was to look at percussion because for beginners a flint lock is more complicated.

I am really warming up to the idea, especially since you HAVE to learn all about the gun and ballistics. You can't just go to the store, buy a gun and ammo and start shooting.

Hawg 03-15-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarinCraft (Post 249263)
I have already been looking at them on Cabelas site. I know I will not buy one from them

Why not? Bout the best prices you'll find. Oh and welcome to the dark side....We have cookies.:D

c3shooter 03-15-2010 11:14 PM

FWIW, everybody has been running out to buy the newest golly-gee-whiz in-line 209 shotshell primer sabot shooting muzzleloaders- with the result that the traditional side lock #11 cap muzzleloaders are down in price- for the USED ones. Nice rifles like the TC Renegades, etc. Have heard some very discomforting things about the CVAs, but you might want to do some shopping at auctionarms and gunbroker.com. Since under Federal law a muzzle loader is an antique (even if made this afternoon) it does not have to go to a FFL holder- can be mailed to your door- so no transfer fees. Just a shipping fee.

Hawg 03-16-2010 12:14 AM

Have you checked the price for a new TC tho? :rolleyes:

DarinCraft 03-16-2010 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 249323)
FWIW, everybody has been running out to buy the newest golly-gee-whiz in-line 209 shotshell primer sabot shooting muzzleloaders- with the result that the traditional side lock #11 cap muzzleloaders are down in price- for the USED ones. Nice rifles like the TC Renegades, etc. Have heard some very discomforting things about the CVAs, but you might want to do some shopping at auctionarms and gunbroker.com. Since under Federal law a muzzle loader is an antique (even if made this afternoon) it does not have to go to a FFL holder- can be mailed to your door- so no transfer fees. Just a shipping fee.

After reading JD's post on the new fangled designs, I'm not too hip on that idea. If I do I'll stick with your advice and use the tried and true design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg (Post 249354)
Have you checked the price for a new TC tho? :rolleyes:

I'm not familiar with name brands. All I've looked at are what Cabela's has to offer. I still have a lot of research to do.

thanks guys
Darin


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:41 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.