shooting sand or fine lead shot down the barrel to remove fouling? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > shooting sand or fine lead shot down the barrel to remove fouling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
just load a sand load down the barrel and shoot it into the air, then continue loading and fighting as normal? I think this would have been effective.
Just when you think you've heard it all. Sorry, but no "dirt" is getting shot out of any of my rifles.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #12

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I never thought about this but I thought it was a good theoretical question (if the particulate was compacted at the charge). I expected the blast would blow through most of the load and send most if not all out, but relatively slowly. So, a fowler would only work with the usual very thick patch (wad) over the powder (I usually use paper) and the also-thick-but-thinner (cardboard) overwad on top of the shot? Never tried it any other way but have been afraid of buck-n-ball "wedging" (like a roller-lock) in the barrel over the ball so do not shoot it but VERY rarely.

As for the underwater thing, I NEVER understood how a gun could be fired there -- the barrel isn't sealed, but I'd think it'd be like firing a very heavy bullet the length of your barrel. I've tried it with a flintlock but can't get a good spark in the lake...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 03-11-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8855 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

First, both patched balls and Minie balls were greased. Purpose of the grease (in part) was to keep black powder fouling soft. Matter of fact, that grease was the "spark" that triggered the mutiny of the native Indian soldiers (Sepoys) against the British.

However, there were other means adopted to aid military shooters that might shoot a LOT in a short time. Best known was the Williams Bore Cleaner
Bullet. Here is some info on it-
http://www.civilwaroutpost.com/m13/3--williams-cleaner-type-iii.html

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2112 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 3180

Thanks for the link, C3Shooter. Somewhere i have a cleaner bullet dug on private property in MD many years ago.

Even with the greased bullets the rifles got progressively harder to load: You will sometimes find bullets with the noses deformed where the ramrod banged repeatedly on them.