Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > shooting sand or fine lead shot down the barrel to remove fouling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default shooting sand or fine lead shot down the barrel to remove fouling?

I know that blackpowder has the bad tendency to cause fouling, enough to start choking up the gun even after 5-6 shots. so I was wondering if it's possible or if any army in the black powder era figured out to shoot sand or fine lead shot out of the barrel to try to scrap away any fouling in the barrel in battle? just load a sand load down the barrel and shoot it into the air, then continue loading and fighting as normal? I think this would have been effective. your ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #2

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

People were not that stupid back in the day. Anyone knows a gun loaded with compressed sand is suicide. You will most likely remove your face. A patch dampened with 93% Alcohol will work much better.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
People were not that stupid back in the day. Anyone knows a gun loaded with compressed sand is suicide. You will most likely remove your face. A patch dampened with 93% Alcohol will work much better.
why? I'm not talking about filling it with sand or lead powder, I mean loading it like a shot load, equal portion of sand or lead powder to powder and separate them with a wad? it'll let it scrape the inside of the barrel.

Last edited by blackdragon; 03-10-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Wouldn't alot of the sand actually just also stick by and large?

Old 03-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #5

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Try it? You ask for advise and want to argue about the answer.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Try it? You ask for advise and want to argue about the answer.
I follow the belief of "question everything you hear or see", essentially, why would loading sand that has less mass and is less dense then a lead ball cause complications? I asked the question, but you gave a vague answer and nothing supporting your answer. I don't blindly follow what someone says just because they said it, I'm looking for facts, not theories. you basically just told me that it won't work because you said so, nothing else.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 2878

For a few hundred years folks have swabbed the bores of their blackpowder guns between shots or after firing a few shots. You can swab the bore using alcohol, Windex, Windex with vinegar, GoJo hand cleaner or a bunch of other stuff.

Instead of arguing and being an ass go off and do it your way.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

beacause sand or fine powders create a plug instead of a solid object to be pushed out.

if you were dumb enough to do it, at some point it would go kaboom.

its very much like firing a gun underwater. you can do it but at some point its gonna kaboom when the conditions are just right.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
For a few hundred years folks have swabbed the bores of their blackpowder guns between shots or after firing a few shots. You can swab the bore using alcohol, Windex, Windex with vinegar, GoJo hand cleaner or a bunch of other stuff.
Don't forget saliva; nothing like a spit patch between shots to keep your balls moving smoothly.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Agreed Jon. Black powder has been around for so freaking long, I'm positive someone ...somewhere, tried what the OP suggests. Today, we clean BP bores with solvents. Just do the math.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson