Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   shooting sand or fine lead shot down the barrel to remove fouling? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/shooting-sand-fine-lead-shot-down-barrel-remove-fouling-59910/)

blackdragon 03-10-2012 04:20 PM

shooting sand or fine lead shot down the barrel to remove fouling?

I know that blackpowder has the bad tendency to cause fouling, enough to start choking up the gun even after 5-6 shots. so I was wondering if it's possible or if any army in the black powder era figured out to shoot sand or fine lead shot out of the barrel to try to scrap away any fouling in the barrel in battle? just load a sand load down the barrel and shoot it into the air, then continue loading and fighting as normal? I think this would have been effective. your ideas?

Durangokid 03-10-2012 04:35 PM

People were not that stupid back in the day. Anyone knows a gun loaded with compressed sand is suicide. You will most likely remove your face. A patch dampened with 93% Alcohol will work much better.;)

blackdragon 03-10-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durangokid (Post 735755)
People were not that stupid back in the day. Anyone knows a gun loaded with compressed sand is suicide. You will most likely remove your face. A patch dampened with 93% Alcohol will work much better.;)

why? I'm not talking about filling it with sand or lead powder, I mean loading it like a shot load, equal portion of sand or lead powder to powder and separate them with a wad? it'll let it scrape the inside of the barrel.

HockaLouis 03-10-2012 04:52 PM

Wouldn't alot of the sand actually just also stick by and large?

Durangokid 03-10-2012 05:16 PM

Try it? You ask for advise and want to argue about the answer.:rolleyes:

blackdragon 03-10-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durangokid (Post 735789)
Try it? You ask for advise and want to argue about the answer.:rolleyes:

I follow the belief of "question everything you hear or see", essentially, why would loading sand that has less mass and is less dense then a lead ball cause complications? I asked the question, but you gave a vague answer and nothing supporting your answer. I don't blindly follow what someone says just because they said it, I'm looking for facts, not theories. you basically just told me that it won't work because you said so, nothing else.

alsaqr 03-10-2012 06:14 PM

For a few hundred years folks have swabbed the bores of their blackpowder guns between shots or after firing a few shots. You can swab the bore using alcohol, Windex, Windex with vinegar, GoJo hand cleaner or a bunch of other stuff.

Instead of arguing and being an ass go off and do it your way.

JonM 03-10-2012 06:40 PM

beacause sand or fine powders create a plug instead of a solid object to be pushed out.

if you were dumb enough to do it, at some point it would go kaboom.

its very much like firing a gun underwater. you can do it but at some point its gonna kaboom when the conditions are just right.

orangello 03-10-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alsaqr (Post 735842)
For a few hundred years folks have swabbed the bores of their blackpowder guns between shots or after firing a few shots. You can swab the bore using alcohol, Windex, Windex with vinegar, GoJo hand cleaner or a bunch of other stuff.

Don't forget saliva; nothing like a spit patch between shots to keep your balls moving smoothly. :D

Cattledog 03-10-2012 06:56 PM

Agreed Jon. Black powder has been around for so freaking long, I'm positive someone ...somewhere, tried what the OP suggests. Today, we clean BP bores with solvents. Just do the math.