Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Shooting Remington New Model Army .44s with round balls and conicals (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/shooting-remington-new-model-army-44s-round-balls-conicals-93166/)

duelist1954 06-30-2013 10:11 PM

Shooting Remington New Model Army .44s with round balls and conicals

I took a pair of Remington New Model Armies out to try them with both round balls and conical bullets. The conicals shot so well I think they will become my default projectile in the Remmies.

HankStone 06-30-2013 11:43 PM

I have a Ruger 44 Old ARMY that I like but Remington darn good shooting,but for reloading that's why hand to hand combat/fighting went to fingers gouging out eyes,thank the Lord for cartridges..

jniedbalski 07-03-2013 04:18 AM

Was the conicals more accurate over the round balls . I have tried the conicals and found them hard to load straight in the cylinder. Maybe it was the bullets I bought maybe oversized or to big for the cylinder

thdrduck 07-03-2013 07:26 PM

My Pieta 58 Rem is impressive with Lee cast conicals tho can not be loaded on the gun (cylinder won't rotate under the loading lever). It really is just mediocre with round balls. I would put it side by side with most any wheel gun with the conicals.

Hawg 07-03-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thdrduck (Post 1293923)
My Pieta 58 Rem is impressive with Lee cast conicals tho can not be loaded on the gun (cylinder won't rotate under the loading lever). It really is just mediocre with round balls. I would put it side by side with most any wheel gun with the conicals.

I haven't tried .44 conicals but my Navies shoot round balls better. You can load the Lee .36 conicals on the gun.

thdrduck 07-05-2013 02:39 PM

Hawg, I wonder if the frame on the .36 is about the same size as the .44 allowing the smaller conical to rotate under the loading lever? I had to buy a loading stand so I could use them (not too bad with a spare cylinder and the ease of removing them).

jniedbalski 07-07-2013 04:00 AM

Round balls

My 1851 navy shoots vary good with round balls vary accurate 36 cal. My 1958 Remington's 44 are just ok with round balls not that good on accuracy. I bought the lee conical mold but need to try it out. Above u stated that the bullets were to long to load in the gun.i guess I need to invest in a loading stand have to see

nitestalker 07-07-2013 04:45 AM

The Lee Conical .450 works in the Remington. Lee Conical .456 is made for the ROA and the Rogers & Spencer. The Lee .456 conical is too large for the Remington and Colts.
The Lee conicals have small tapered bases to allow them to fit the chamber mouth. They should only be cast from pure lead. The spru cutter will damage the base if the bullet is too hot when cut. The base will not fit the chamber if smeared by the spru cutter.:)

thdrduck 07-07-2013 12:55 PM

You are right about the pure lead... I added a little tin to the last ones I cast thinking it would help keep the rings from getting banged up during storage. They are a real bummer to load but still shoot great. I probably end up melting them down and making REAL's for the Hawken out of it.
Has anyone tried the Lee's in a Uburti Remington Army? Just wondering if you can load them on the gun.

Hawg 07-09-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thdrduck (Post 1295444)
Hawg, I wonder if the frame on the .36 is about the same size as the .44 allowing the smaller conical to rotate under the loading lever? I had to buy a loading stand so I could use them (not too bad with a spare cylinder and the ease of removing them).

They are the same.