Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Shooting my .40 caliber flintlock longrifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/shooting-my-40-caliber-flintlock-longrifle-72460/)

duelist1954 09-15-2012 10:56 AM

Shooting my .40 caliber flintlock longrifle

I built this .40 caliber flintlock longrifle 20 years ago. It was my last build because I finally admitted I'm not as good as the professional builders and never will be. But it is fun to shoot.

I know this may be too basic for this crew, but in the video I'll show how to load a flintlock muzzleloader, and we'll do some shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPrrWjX7_T4&feature=youtu.be

mountainman13 09-15-2012 10:58 AM

What made you pick .40? Kind of an odd caliber. :curious:

duelist1954 09-15-2012 09:31 PM

I wanted a caliber for small game, but small calibers present two problems in longrifles.

First, the smaller the bore, the more it is affected by fouling. With a .32 or .36 I usually can't reload without swabbing the bore. Even with the .40, a second shot is quite hard to get down the bore.

The second issue is weight. A 42-inch barrel is wicked heavy with a .32 or a .36 bore. A .40 is about as small a hole as I can stand in a long barrel.

mountainman13 09-15-2012 10:43 PM

Cool. Never would have thought of that.

nitestalker 09-15-2012 11:09 PM

The .40 Cal. was more common in rifles of the past then you think. The killing of deer for hides in the east was a big Biz. D. Boones company turned in as many as 5,000 hides per season. Deer were killed at night in what was called "Fire Hunting". Men walked in lines at night with torches and shooters killed at very close range. The .40 used less lead and powder this was about profit. :)

W. C. Quantrill 10-09-2012 10:24 AM

The big bores didnt come into their heyday until the move west to the Rockies, when the plainsmen wanted more power for buffalo and bear.

HockaLouis 10-10-2012 12:09 AM

Mike;
Ever think of, I dunno, a swamped barrel to handle the weight? Maybe octagonal to round? A shorter one!? LOL

On .50 cals I can easily do a fully octagonal 36" but 39" is my limit and I'm a he-man. I saw that muzzle of yours taking you where it wanted to go... Guessin' that's why you stopped at 1 liter bottle.

;)

Thanks and regards

PS: nary a .40 and less to be found in rifle companies.

nitestalker 10-10-2012 01:53 AM

A .40 Cal with a swamped 13/16" barrel even 44" long can provide a well balanced rifle. The butt stock comb and most important Cast off and LOP depending if you are right or left handed makes or breaks the deal for off hand rifles. If you can find an orginal early flint lock with a straight wall barrel it will be most rare. The orginal flint locks pre 1820 before the use of mass produced hammer forged barrels were swamped or tapered.

The modern semi-custom rifles like TVM etc cut cost with straight wall [Perc. Barrels] and no measured cast off. These are muzzle heavy and all but impossible to shoot 20 strings of 5s in an off hand match. I have one Don Getz 43" 15/16" .54 straight wall 7 flat groove but it is a dedicated cross stick rifle. :) We love our "Rock Rifles".;)

duelist1954 10-10-2012 12:31 PM

I built this rifle with my own 10 little thumbs and I'm not good at inletting swamped barrels. I do have a TVM Early Virginia rifle in .54 caliber with a swamped barrel, and that is still a heavy rifle because in .54 a "C" profile is as light a swamped barrel as you can get.

I'm about to build a .45 caliber Bucks County rifle with a 13/16ths x 42" barrel. I like straight .45s. They are light and well balanced even without a swamped profile. This will be my first build in 20 years, so wish me luck.

HockaLouis 10-11-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duelist1954 (Post 971278)
I built this rifle with my own 10 little thumbs and I'm not good at inletting swamped barrels. I do have a TVM Early Virginia rifle in .54 caliber with a swamped barrel, and that is still a heavy rifle because in .54 a "C" profile is as light a swamped barrel as you can get.

I'm about to build a .45 caliber Bucks County rifle with a 13/16ths x 42" barrel. I like straight .45s. They are light and well balanced even without a swamped profile. This will be my first build in 20 years, so wish me luck.

If you're committed, then good luck Mike.