Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Sharps Rifle Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sharps Rifle Opinions

Group, I posted this question on another forum, and thought I should post here also. I will be purchasing a Sharps repro, and am leaning towards a C. Sharps for a couple of reasons. I particularly like their Semi-Custom Hartford Classic. Wait time is less than 60 days at C. Sharps. I also like the fact that their receiver is machined, and not a casting. Any opinions on the other manufacturers? This gun will be used for recreational target shooting, perhaps up to 600 yards. Probably 45-70 with a 30" tapered octagonal barrel? Opinions on case hardened finish vs French Grey? Any opinions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Go for it!

I have a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps replica in .45-70, the "Billy Dixon" model (32" hex barrel). It is one of my favorite rifles. The Shiloh Sharps are thought by many to be the "premium" Sharps replicas. When I was looking for one, the Shilohs were out of my reach in terms of price. The C Sharps rifles were also pretty pricey and had a long wait time when I bought my Pedersoli, otherwise I'd have one as well. But I think my Pedersoli is also a very fine piece of work.

I put a tang sight on the rear, and a globe sight on the front. I shoot very tight groups at 100 yards and am working my way out to 600. I shoot Black Power rounds exclusively (my own re-loads).

The Sharps is a really fun rifle!

TXnorton

Last edited by TXnorton; 02-04-2010 at 09:31 PM.