Savage Model 10MLSS .50 caliber Muzzleloader Rifle Blown Up
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Savage Model 10MLSS .50 caliber Muzzleloader Rifle Blown Up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Savage Model 10MLSS .50 caliber Muzzleloader Rifle Blown Up

I got this in an e-mail today. This is pretty graphic, so I am not going to post the pictures here, but here is the story.

A very good shooting friend of mine from Winnipeg, MB Canada sent me a link to these photos in a web album. A Winnipeg area shooter by the name of Trent Procter who works for Manitoba Hydro was sighting in his Savage muzzleloader rifle and nearly lost his hand. Luckily, he had his hand on the scope instead of the forearm when this happened. (Incidentally, the Savage is the only muzzleloader that is supposed to withstand the high pressures of smokeless powder.)
I don't know if this failure happened due to a defect in the rifle itself or if the shooter perhaps didn't properly seat the projectile against the powder firmly. This is VERY important with any muzzleloader, especially when shooting black powder.
Doc Martin
Webmaster Coon 'n Crockett Muzzleloaders Club Grand Forks, ND - USA www.coon-n-crockett.org <http://www.coon-n-crockett.org/>;
This is what the rifle looks like:

This is a page I took from the manual that mentions the smokeless loads:

This is the note that was sent with the email I received:If you guys know of anyone who is shooting a Savage like this let them know that there are many recorded cases of them failing such as Proc's did. Savage is the only muzzle loader that claims it can handle smokeless powder loads. Cabelas won't even carry this product anymore.. This email has gone to the CEO of Savage Arms via another hunter who has contacted Trent. The same thing happened to him awhile back, he was lucky as his fore hand was on his scope as he was sighting in.

This is a link to the story on the owners' preferred forum ( with respect to hpmuzzleloading.com )

N.A. Muzzleloader Hunting

The e-mail I have has a few more very graphic photos if anyone wants to see them, PM me your e-mail addy.

Suffice to say, anyone with one of these rifles should be VERY careful going forward....

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Wholly crap! PM in sent. A couple of friends of mine have these.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Ouch!!!

Get the word out!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

ho-lee-sheot!

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?