Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > For the revolver fans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default For the revolver fans

I haven't had a cap n ball for a while but recently picked up another 58 Rem army. I have worn out 3 BP revolvers over the last few decades and what always seemed the biggest pain to me was putting the grease over the ball, very messy, you end up wiping your hands on your pants and by the end of the day you look and smell as bad as your gun. I happen to have a supply of large syringes (60ml) with long ends. It just sort of came to me so I had to try it... filled one half way with crisco and used it to seal off the cylinders, it works amazing. No mess, will be easy to carry and no mess. And did I mention no mess? Insert the end into the cylinder, give a little push, done. I'll make a cap for the end so it won't pick up stuff from the possibles bag. I have been using the tubes the syringes come in to put cigars in for days on the water so now I have about 200 years worth of lube syringes. Cool. Just had to share, haven't had a usable idea for a while.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #2

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Wads are a lot less messy but if you're making that much mess you're using too much. All you need is a little around the edge of the balls. Wore out three huh? What do you do with the wear outs?

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #3

Default Wads

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
I haven't had a cap n ball for a while but recently picked up another 58 Rem army. I have worn out 3 BP revolvers over the last few decades and what always seemed the biggest pain to me was putting the grease over the ball, very messy, you end up wiping your hands on your pants and by the end of the day you look and smell as bad as your gun. I happen to have a supply of large syringes (60ml) with long ends. It just sort of came to me so I had to try it... filled one half way with crisco and used it to seal off the cylinders, it works amazing. No mess, will be easy to carry and no mess. And did I mention no mess? Insert the end into the cylinder, give a little push, done. I'll make a cap for the end so it won't pick up stuff from the possibles bag. I have been using the tubes the syringes come in to put cigars in for days on the water so now I have about 200 years worth of lube syringes. Cool. Just had to share, haven't had a usable idea for a while.

While its a great idea , it aint yours or mine , been doing that for eons myself and know I wasn't the first either . But I use a small grease-gun with cartridges . Before that an old tube of wonder-lube with surgical tubing on the end capped with a bolt .
Wonder wads are not messy , but , they do not keep the fouling soft either .
I dont mind a little mess , I carry a cloth into the field or range bag . Thats half the fun of this BP stuff . If I wanted sanitary , I would shoot airguns .
And I do, but not because they are clean , but they are .
Its pretty easy to wipe off your revolver if you have greased the cylinders while shooting. Its a pain if you use wads , it cakes up hard .

Old 01-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #4

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Never tried the wads, always used a lube. When I lived down south I used Pistol Patch from Dixie because crisco would melt in the heat during the Summer. Hawg, the first was a brass frame Colt, shooting heavy loads the cylinder got loose. That one ended as a wall hanger at a buddies house. The other 2 were Remingtons that the hand, trigger and bolt were wore out, the first one was stolen during a move, the other one was traded for a radial arm saw. I know I could have fixed them and the new parts probably would have been better then what they started with but the saw was/is worth way more then that gun was. That last one was a Dixie and I don't think I got more then a 1000 rounds out of it before you couldn't trust the trigger anymore. The half cock notch was completely worn off.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #5

I like wads myself but they do need to be lubed. Wonder wads are directional, only half of them are lubed. I make my own.

DEO VINDICE

Old 01-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #6

Default Always wondered ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I like wads myself but they do need to be lubed. Wonder wads are directional, only half of them are lubed. I make my own.
I always wondered about wads , lubed ones too when I tried um ? I too made my own from felt and greased them with bore butter ever so lightly Hawg . BUT , it always made me leary to have lubed wads sitting on my powder soaking into my powder, especially after the first cylinder full after being fired ? I have to presume that those wads leach lube onto the powder , especailly if the cylinder is piping hot when I am at the range for a session of shooting ? I would think ( scarey thought there ) it would hamper the full burn of the powder making for inconsistant velocity , which I hate ?
I never chrono'd them to find out though , so not sure if it matters much? The only thing I do know it is nowhere near as easy to clean a cap and ball gun with lubed wads as compaired to properly lubed cylinders . I used grease on my cylinder arbors , so the heat of the gun when shooting keeps it running with the grease over balls . I use Non-Petro bearing grease , Moly based for both grease over balls and arbor. A little messy but it works well , and cold dont effect it much and neither does heat , it stays put .
Wads are cheap to make though , and I think most CASS guys use them for speed too, they are very fast to use . To each there own I suppose
Good thread !

Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #7

Just the surface grains is about as far as a lubed wad will contaminate and that will take awhile. You don't need to fill the space between the ball and chamber mouth, just enough to go around the edge of the ball is all you need. Heck a couple of drops of olive oil will do the trick.

DEO VINDICE

Old 01-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #8

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Dixie Revolver kits

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.