Reproduction 1858 Remington Buntline ( Buffalo ) .44 Hand Cannons
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Reproduction 1858 Remington Buntline ( Buffalo ) .44 Hand Cannons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Reproduction 1858 Remington Buntline ( Buffalo ) .44 Hand Cannons

Not sure why they call these Buffalo Revolvers , maybe someone could learn me ? I presume they are actually modeled after Colts Buntline Special is all and they dreamt up Buffalo for retail selling . Oooooh Buffalo Revolver , oooohhhh ahhhhh . Phooee I say . You sure as heck aint gonna shoot Buffalo with one ? Anyhoo , they are fun to shoot , very accurate too with Round Ball or with conversion cylinders with BP Cowboy loads or Modern Remington loads you see in the pics . Off the bench the SS Pietta Remington is amazing actually . The Brass framed specimen is another Pietta I built from a kit from Dixie , but is unfired as of yet If you ever buy the kit ,
RE-THINK it , its alot of work . Not unless you have tremendous patience and abilty to maintain sharp edges like the originals , not to mention grip fabrication abilities . As you can see from the photos they come very very very rough . Hopefully there are some other Pardners here that enjoy these target grade revolvers and will post up some pictures too and maybe some explanations of thier loads or experiences with them ?
And if someone could enlighten me on the Buffalo Term I would sure appreciate it .
Enjoy the pics !

The Buntline Revolver , Reach out and touch someone , better than a Telephone

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Sure is a long barrel. Recon they ought to be pretty accurate. Nice grips on em too.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #3

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

I have 1 still cap. I use the same conical bullets to load as I use for .44-40 plinking loads. 160gr cast lead.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #4

Default Mini rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
Sure is a long barrel. Recon they ought to be pretty accurate. Nice grips on em too.
They be mini-rifles there Towboater , twelve inches makes the world of difference in accuracy . And powder burn , they get a good burn in long barrels with even potent loads .

Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #5

Default 44-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I have 1 still cap. I use the same conical bullets to load as I use for .44-40 plinking loads. 160gr cast lead.
Thats about what , maybe 20 gr heavier than a round ball , less drag too , that should be a flat shootin hummer in these guns . And fast with the right powder load .
I am using the Civil War Era conversion unit, swaps back to cap and ball without mods to the revolver .

Old 01-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #6

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

A 44-40 bullet at .429 is too small for a c&b chamber.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #7

Default Hawg for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
A 44-40 bullet at .429 is too small for a c&b chamber.
Ballistics dont lie do they , LOL , your good Hawg , I didn't catch that

Ever thought about running for President Hawg , you got all the facts and tell it like it is We could use that for our Nation , for a change .
44-40 is .429 with 40 gr BP behind it , yup , that would never work , well
Heck , even most .451's are not good in any of my revolvers , although Pietta insists they fit thier revolvers , Blah blah blah . No they dont . They slide in which is a real issue . A .429 would be a bigger issue , LOL , I can see it tumble all the way down the barrel as I type

Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #8

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly-A View Post
Ballistics dont lie do they , LOL , your good Hawg , I didn't catch that
you got all the facts and tell it like it is
Not all the facts and sometimes I should just keep quiet.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #9

Default Whether you want to hear it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Not all the facts and sometimes I should just keep quiet.

Well Hawg , whether you want to hear it or not , you do know a heck of alot about arms and history and ballistics . We all learn alot from that wisdom .
I hope you never just keep quiet , in order to keep peace or not piss someone off because they are full of bull or nieve or ignorant on a subject .
I suffer from brash delivery of my messege at times too , I am blunt too is my point . But not saying something really aint in my grain , nor do I think its in your grain Its more of the art of not hurting someones feelings I need work on , and I am working on it . But I fail miserably at times on that .
Always reminds me of Mongrels Motto " Does'nt play well with others "

Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #10

i just got one cant wait to use it.