Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Blackpowder & Musket (
-   -   red dots & muzzleloaders (

groutguy 09-22-2010 02:44 AM

red dots & muzzleloaders
I just picked up my new muzzleloader (Bonecollector) and was thinking of putting a red dot sight on it. I use a red dot sight on my bow and love the ability to shoot in low light conditions. I live & hunt in Michigan, with most shots well under 100 yrds in dense brush and rolling wooded conditions-( I know, sounds sweet don't it?) . . . Any opinions on red dot sights for muzzy's?

skullcrusher 09-22-2010 05:09 AM

Personally, I've never been a big fan of red dots on hunting gear with shorter eye relief. I had one on my crossbow until I realized that in super bright conditions, the dot was difficult to see even on the brightest setting. Then, during low light conditions one evening, I could see the dot on the lowest setting but not the deer. On compound bows, this is not an issue because of the distance between the sight and the eye. With a muzzleloader, you are better off with a larger objective (40 mm or larger) to allow the light to be captured for good vision through the sight. I use a 3-9x40 on mine, and in low light conditions, I have an advantage with the shorter eye relief over any red dot. Again, keep in mind that with your bow, your eye is a long ways away from that sight combined with the illumination of the dot, you have the advantage in low light conditions. The same is not true of shorter eye relief. If you like the adjustable illumination, there are many scopes available that have lighted reticles or just dots, but the larger objective is what lets the light in.

So, those are my thoughts. :)