Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Recommendation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Recommendation?

I want to get a black powder handgun (something like a .36), but I'm not sure what to get yet. What would you recommend to someone new? Half frame or full frame? Which to you find easier to clean/disassemble? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKETeer View Post
I want to get a black powder handgun (something like a .36), but I'm not sure what to get yet. What would you recommend to someone new? Half frame or full frame? Which to you find easier to clean/disassemble? Thanks.
Full stocked, half stocked, flint or percussion, all mostly pre 1860.

Percussion revolvers starting with the Patterson Colt and ending with several models of many brands to 1870.

Would you like to be more specific ?

Old 05-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Ruger Old Army is widley regarded as one of the best C&B revolvers out there. It is accurate and has adjustable sites which is nice. It shoots a true .45. It is what I shoot and I really like it.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #4

1860 colt. Accurate and nice looking.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Recomendation?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I started out with a Brass Framed 36 Caliber Colt Desighn, as a Buddy was "Getting out of" Black Powder! It was a great deal with Powder, Balls and a Flask all for 85$! YUP, it was a few decades ago, But I'd not recommend the following:

Remington or Colt Steel Frame in 44 Caliber, the steel cleans as easy as the Brass, and might some day last longer, (Probably no real difference), I shoot better with the Remington design, due to the long site groove on top of the frame? Your preference can only be made by your trying a few? have any friends with any? Ask to try them, it's a lot of fun and you get to pick what works best for ya? I'm not a fan of the smaller 31 caliber Revolvers, but I know a fellow who used to carry one in a boot and it saved his ass a few times? Moden steels and machine work make thse easy to care for, easy to shoot and enjoy, Jump on in, the waters fine!