Recommend a BP Rifle (Brand & Model) - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Recommend a BP Rifle (Brand & Model)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Agreed, but, there are farms every half mile, so the deer dont pay any attention to vehicles or a chainsaw. I had bucks in the shooting lane that night, on the game cam. I didnt get one, but they were there. Our big bucks have gone completely nocturnal, and are hard to hunt. We hunt the big racks, and we manage the herd, for years, we concentrated on taking the inferior genetics out of the herd, and we pretty well have that done. Spikes and runts were targeted, then our numbers began to drop. The thing is, when the alpha bucks get to be about 7 years old, they go sterile. They are still big and can still fight off the beta bucks, but they dont make does pregnant. They are shooting blanks.

So, we concentrated on taking out the alpha buck if we could. 5 of us hunt this area. Someone gets the big one each year. But, also, we take out the hamburger bucks. This management has yielded more bucks, and bigger bucks than we have ever had. As a result, everyone else wants them too.

We have a lot of Walk in Hunting areas. I know other guys want to hunt, but, I pay the taxes, and I'd like the chance to hunt it before it gets shot out. Land in this area runs a little under $700 a year per quarter section taxes. For that, I would at least like to have the opportunity to hunt on my own land. I do not hunt on others land. So yes, it is tightening down. But the guys who shot the front window out of my combine, didnt offer to pay for that either.

I think it is a few slob hunters that ruin it for everyone. I had a guy from MD stop in here a couple years ago and ask if he could hunt. He buys hay out here. I directed him to the best hunting on my property. He came back later and left the pheasants they had got with us and thanked us for letting them hunt. I let him hunt here every year now, just because he asked.

Sheds I picked up last fall in this pasture

This is what roams at night. Actually, this was in the milo field on the other side of the creek from the pasture. About 150 yards from where I intended to hunt.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Last edited by W. C. Quantrill; 07-09-2012 at 03:47 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #32
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
Agreed, but, there are farms every half mile, so the deer dont pay any attention to vehicles or a chainsaw. I had bucks in the shooting lane that night, on the game cam. I didnt get one, but they were there. Our big bucks have gone completely nocturnal, and are hard to hunt. We hunt the big racks, and we manage the herd, for years, we concentrated on taking the inferior genetics out of the herd, and we pretty well have that done. Spikes and runts were targeted, then our numbers began to drop. The thing is, when the alpha bucks get to be about 7 years old, they go sterile. They are still big and can still fight off the beta bucks, but they dont make does pregnant. They are shooting blanks.

So, we concentrated on taking out the alpha buck if we could. 5 of us hunt this area. Someone gets the big one each year. But, also, we take out the hamburger bucks. This management has yielded more bucks, and bigger bucks than we have ever had. As a result, everyone else wants them too.

We have a lot of Walk in Hunting areas. I know other guys want to hunt, but, I pay the taxes, and I'd like the chance to hunt it before it gets shot out. Land in this area runs a little under $700 a year per quarter section taxes. For that, I would at least like to have the opportunity to hunt on my own land. I do not hunt on others land. So yes, it is tightening down. But the guys who shot the front window out of my combine, didnt offer to pay for that either.

I think it is a few slob hunters that ruin it for everyone. I had a guy from MD stop in here a couple years ago and ask if he could hunt. He buys hay out here. I directed him to the best hunting on my property. He came back later and left the pheasants they had got with us and thanked us for letting them hunt. I let him hunt here every year now, just because he asked.
Good to hear you have your neighbors on board for QDM. That IS what it takes. A bunch of like minded people in a large area.

I dont hate on folks for not granting permission. I am an old farm boy myself. I understand idiots and taxes only too well.

Good luck this season and be sure to post pics of succesful hunts....its looking like once again this year i will be hunting vicariously thru others.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #33

My son in law is a bow hunter, he drew down on that bottom buck during the rut, and just as he got to full draw, his bowstring broke. I dont think it was his time yet. I am still not big on bowhunting, but I do keep peace in the family. He takes good care of my daughter and grandsons, so, it evens out.

Our average population here is less than one person per square mile. I cant imagine living in the population density of the East. I dont envy you. Coming out this way would be like going to your land up north. The cost of travel and the price of non resident licence would make your meat cost about $15 a pound. You'd have to have a really good time for that.
'

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #34
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
My son in law is a bow hunter, he drew down on that bottom buck during the rut, and just as he got to full draw, his bowstring broke. I dont think it was his time yet. I am still not big on bowhunting, but I do keep peace in the family. He takes good care of my daughter and grandsons, so, it evens out.

Our average population here is less than one person per square mile. I cant imagine living in the population density of the East. I dont envy you. Coming out this way would be like going to your land up north. The cost of travel and the price of non resident licence would make your meat cost about $15 a pound. You'd have to have a really good time for that.
'
>>SNORT<< THATS Bow hunting!! What can go wrong, usually does..at the WORST possible time!! The way i sum up archery hunting is "its THE most frustrating form of hunting i have ever done...but its also THE most rewarding."

I quit doing the $$ per pound figure a long time ago. To me its not about the money, it not about the bone, its not about the meat...its about time communing with the creator. When i start worrying about making a kill, it takes all the fun out and becomes like a job.

That buck would almost make me forget my ethics and go a spotlighting...almost. Some serious quality bone there! MUCH better than what is up in Dah Yooper.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #35

He is evidence of what management will do to your herd.

If you go buy heifers at $2000 each, you sure dont want to go to the sale barn to buy you a bull. We now have some of these performance bucks in our doe herds. Someone will get this buck eventually, and another younger buck, perhaps his son will take his place, and our herd will evolve.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 10-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own a t/c triumph bone collector edition rifle deadly accurate have shot 7 Times and have had 7 dead deer got the rifle scope and rings all setup for $900 farthest spot so far is 167 dropped In it's tracks. Also speed breach is amazing and is a breeze to clean

Old 10-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2196 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 3349

Quote:
I know nothing about BP rifles. What is a good brand and model based on your knowledge and experience?
There are any number of really good blackpowder rifles out there. Take a look at the CVA, Knight, Traditions and TC rifles: Compare the features, think about it for awhile and put your money down.

Do not overlook used muzzleloaders at gun dealers and pawnshops. i recently bought this TC FireHawk rifle in .54 caliber at a pawnshop: It's about 20 years old. The price tag was $175. Told the counter lady i would make an offer. The lady shop owner said: "Give me $100 and take it away". i did just that. The gun is like new and probably had never been fired. It's very accurate with patched round ball.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll268/alsaqr/DSC01554.jpg

The TC Black Diamond is an obsolete gun that is still available at a very good price. It's a fine rifle.

http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/browse.cfm/2,4385.html

Last edited by alsaqr; 10-03-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #38

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Winch- when making your selection keep in mind that BP guns need to be cleaned after each use. IMHO easy access to , or removing the breech plug without special tools would ne nice.

Also savage makes one that shoots smokless powder , which may allow a little better load and cleaner gun.

Black powder is more corrosive than smokeless.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #39
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5812 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
Winch- when making your selection keep in mind that BP guns need to be cleaned after each use. IMHO easy access to , or removing the breech plug without special tools would ne nice.

Also savage makes one that shoots smokless powder , which may allow a little better load and cleaner gun.

Black powder is more corrosive than smokeless.
I had an inline and sold it. While easy to use they are a cast iron btch to Clean out the action portion.

I noticed that becoming an issue so I sold it and am picking up a lyman great plains 54 cal cap lock Thursday. I did research on ease of cleaning the action portion and cap lock or flintlock came up as the answer. Everything is easily user serviceable. Plus I didn't like paying a lot for conical ammo where I can cast ball easily and cheaply or just buy a box of hundred. For the price of 15 conical bullets.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #40

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Lyman Great Plains.
I second that. I have a 54cal percussion and it is a tack driver.

Better to die on my feet than to live on my knees