Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > RE: iron musket balls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

if you load from the muzzle whether it be cannon or musket you can shoot anything you can cram down the barrel. In the old days they shot whatever they had on hand to shoot. I seldom bring projectiles(just wadding) with me to the range when I shoot my cannon, I just pick up junk at the range to shoot. For the last 300 years at least lead has been the projectile of choice but don't think it was the only thing shot out of the barrel during that time.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #22

Default I've had time to do bit more research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Those aren't musket balls, they're case shot.
and its possible at least some of what is being found is case shot, as I've read "There was case shot, or cannister, first used in 1453. The name "case shot" comes from the projectile's case usually made of metal, which was filled with scrap, [B]musket balls[B], or slugs." But as to there being no iron musket balls, this site disagrees: Projectiles in the Smoothbore Era

Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #23

Default Not exactly what I was wanting, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoffreetime View Post
they are made from Powder tungsten and Iron.It's called ITX roundball. It's from Ballistic Products Ballistic Products.com made in calibers 32 to 62 I assume it is made for all the lead free zones .
it may well prove to be as close as I will find, since I'm not keen to buy the antique iron musket balls the treasure hunters discover. Many thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #24

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Actual source of round iron or steel balls

Most the large Diameter cast steel balls from golfball size up to 8" Ive seen were used in mining industry Ball mills.
Ball Mill Pictures (Mining Equipment)| Gold Mining, Mining Information

thumbnail.jpg   thumbnailcaysgu7d.jpg  

Old 09-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
if you load from the muzzle whether it be cannon or musket you can shoot anything you can cram down the barrel. In the old days they shot whatever they had on hand to shoot. I seldom bring projectiles(just wadding) with me to the range when I shoot my cannon, I just pick up junk at the range to shoot. For the last 300 years at least lead has been the projectile of choice but don't think it was the only thing shot out of the barrel during that time.
Holy crap, you have a cannon!!! What kind?

Old 11-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ
Most the large Diameter cast steel balls from golfball size up to 8" Ive seen were used in mining industry Ball mills.
Ball Mill Pictures (Mining Equipment)| Gold Mining, Mining Information
99% of the balls used in ball mills are not cast, they are machined or drop forged. I know the company's I work for at times. But them by the semi truck load.