RE: iron musket balls - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > RE: iron musket balls

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Berkeley,CA
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Musket balls were not iron- too light, too hard. Lead is the metal of choice for several reasons- ease of casting a round ball, softer than the iron or steel of my barrel, dense enough to retain energy over distance, plentiful, and CHEAP!
Sorry... I've seen mention of them with metal detectors finding iron musket balls. Someone said they are early Spanish origin.
__________________
Skygee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

But, is there a reason you would prefer not to use lead?

__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Heidelberg,MS
Posts: 1,409
Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skygee View Post
Sorry... I've seen mention of them with metal detectors finding iron musket balls. Someone said they are early Spanish origin.
Those aren't musket balls, they're case shot.
__________________

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Hawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #14
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,195
Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default

AKA canister shot or grape shot

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: fort wayne
Posts: 9
Likes Given: 9

Default

they are made from Powder tungsten and Iron.It's called ITX roundball. It's from Ballistic Products Ballistic Products.com made in calibers 32 to 62 I assume it is made for all the lead free zones .

__________________
lotsoffreetime is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Heidelberg,MS
Posts: 1,409
Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
AKA canister shot or grape shot
Grape would be too big to get confused with a musket ball.
__________________

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Hawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
quigleysharps4570's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Central,Kansas
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoffreetime View Post
they are made from Powder tungsten and Iron.It's called ITX roundball. It's from Ballistic Products Ballistic Products.com made in calibers 32 to 62 I assume it is made for all the lead free zones .
Same thing I heard about them.
__________________
quigleysharps4570 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Friendswood,TX
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Musket balls were not iron- too light, too hard. Lead is the metal of choice for several reasons- ease of casting a round ball, softer than the iron or steel of my barrel, dense enough to retain energy over distance, plentiful, and CHEAP!
Not true. Iron balls were used to some extent in the early matchlocks. They had big bores and were relatively short-ranged anyhow. Recently saw a fascinating TV documentary about the Inca. The earliest documented firearm kill in the New World is an Inca skull with a bullet hole about an inch in diameter. Analysis showed no lead, but did find particles of iron around the hole. Incidentally, some brave conquistidor shot the guy in the back of the head.
__________________
attaunser is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by attaunser View Post
Not true. Iron balls were used to some extent in the early matchlocks. They had big bores and were relatively short-ranged anyhow. Recently saw a fascinating TV documentary about the Inca. The earliest documented firearm kill in the New World is an Inca skull with a bullet hole about an inch in diameter. Analysis showed no lead, but did find particles of iron around the hole. Incidentally, some brave conquistidor shot the guy in the back of the head.
Interesting, got a link to the program?

Not calling you a liar, but it doesn't make sense to fire an iron round from a steel barrel, at least not without one hell of a patch to get a seal. I could understand during the experimental phase of firearms development, but not later. Lead is HEAVY, relatively formable, and probably more common than quality iron even then. Or so it would seem to me, but i have certainly been wrong before.
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Friendswood,TX
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Interesting, got a link to the program?

Not calling you a liar, but it doesn't make sense to fire an iron round from a steel barrel, at least not without one hell of a patch to get a seal. I could understand during the experimental phase of firearms development, but not later. Lead is HEAVY, relatively formable, and probably more common than quality iron even then. Or so it would seem to me, but i have certainly been wrong before.
You are not calling me a liar; you just doubt that I am telling the truth
The early cannon fired stone balls. Cannon fired iron balls until mid-19th century. Smooth bore small arms, especially military, fired very much undersized balls, lead or otherwise. How do you suppose they managed to "get a seal" all those centuries? Hint: they did not, for the most part, use patched balls.

In re the program: There is no link; it was on cable TV. I think it was a NOVA prorgram, but would not swear to that for fear of being called a liar -- again.
__________________
attaunser is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Newby BP Question on patched round balls. Shade Blackpowder & Musket 9 10-05-2010 03:00 AM
Fresh Balls Shihan The Club House 16 07-08-2010 03:14 AM
The difference between guts and balls IGETEVEN The Club House 9 08-28-2009 03:15 PM
Lead vs Wheel Weight Balls? killerclowns Blackpowder & Musket 1 06-08-2007 07:41 PM