Range Rpt.-Kentucky Pistol - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Range Rpt.-Kentucky Pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Really?? That is something that I did not know. I am not into BP of any sort - but that is cool that you can buy a kit, and assemble a pistol that shoots this well.

Is it an FFL item - or can you just up and order one off the Interwebz??

Interesting!

JD

Replica's aren't considered firearms by the fed, so in most states you can order them online or through the mail. In most states however, if you want to shoot your BP pistol you need to list it on your permit. Unfortunately gone are the days when you could buy these single-shot kits for under a $60. I bought a Spiller and Burr .36 brass framed revolver kit from Dixie Gun Works in the late 80's for $85.
I bought these guns over 20 years ago and didn't pay $100 for any of them, except for my used Ruger Old Army which cost me $100, a Uberti 1860 Colt Navy for $125, and my Thompson Center New Englander .50 Rifle which I paid $180 for - both back in the late 80's. Look up Dixie Gin Works if you're interested - they ar the largest supplier of complete BP arms, kits, and supplies in the world. Hawg says Classic Arms is still around - I didn't know that, but I'm doing a search when I finish here!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-10-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
The replicas Cabela's sells are made by F. LLI. Pietta in Italy. You can get them from about $150-$750 or so. Truely the all the SHTF firearms. I would like to get the 'Cattleman's Carbine' rifle, but it is down the list of firearms.

Heck, the LeMat replica also has a 20 ga under.
I always wanted the Cattleman's Carbine and the LeMat - unfortunately I can buy another AR-15 for what Cabela's gets for the LeMat! And the problem with the Cattleman's Carbine is there is no place to support it with your off hand except under the trigger guard - I had one revolver chain fire on me many years ago - it's not a fun day when that happens - so if you get a Cattleman's Carbine DO NOT EVER support the barrel with your off hand if you like your fingers and wish to keep them all...

Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #23

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
My mistake Hawg - the Twister IS .36 cal., but it takes a .350 patched RB and not the more common .375. I only used 20 gr. because it was the first time I fired it - I could probably use twice that, but for accuracy a lighter charge is always better.
You're right about the .350 ball. The .375's are for .36 revolvers. I know you know that but some may not is why I brought it up.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
You're right about the .350 ball. The .375's are for .36 revolvers. I know you know that but some may not is why I brought it up.
I tried searching for Classic Arms - there are a bunch of companies using the same name, but none of them is the Classic Arms I was talking about. I'm sure they are long gone, like Western Arms also. These were the two companies that sold BP guns cheap through the mail in the 70's and 80's.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #25

Quote:
I tried searching for Classic Arms - there are a bunch of companies using the same name, but none of them is the Classic Arms I was talking about. I'm sure they are long gone, like Western Arms also. These were the two companies that sold BP guns cheap through the mail in the 70's and 80's.

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Oh I know Dixie sells the Classic Arms kits, but Classic Arms is no longer in business. Dixie must have bought up all their inventory and doubled the prices -the Twister I paid $39 or $49 for is now $120!!!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Oh I know Dixie sells the Classic Arms kits, but Classic Arms is no longer in business. Dixie must have bought up all their inventory and doubled the prices -the Twister I paid $39 or $49 for is now $120!!!
I dunno but The Possibles Shop sells them too. Seems like they must have made a butt load of them if DGW is still selling them after all this time. Serial number on mine is 0003233 so they had big intentions.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I dunno but The Possibles Shop sells them too. Seems like they must have made a butt load of them if DGW is still selling them after all this time. Serial number on mine is 0003233 so they had big intentions.
I bought one of mine at Caldors when they were in business - actually Caldors used to sell a lot of CVA BP guns. I think I have an old box from one of the Classic Arms kits, I'll look to see where they were located. I sure as hell am not going to pay over $100 for a brass framed "Snake Eyes" BP derringer...

Old 08-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #29

Quote:
I sure as hell am not going to pay over $100 for a brass framed "Snake Eyes" BP derringer...
I wouldn't pay that for any of them, specially in kit form. I've seen used ones on Gunbroker for 30 bucks. My Twister was a POS from the get go. Pearlite grips broke on the first shot. Had to do surgery on one barrel to get it to even fire.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I wouldn't pay that for any of them, specially in kit form. I've seen used ones on Gunbroker for 30 bucks. My Twister was a POS from the get go. Pearlite grips broke on the first shot. Had to do surgery on one barrel to get it to even fire.

Mine works pretty good - but I did notice a crack developing in the grip. No big deal, I'll make a nice set out of zebra wood! Unless you shoot someone in the head at point blank range it's worthless for self defense! With a load of 18 gr. of FFFg, it didn't even penetrate 1/2 particle board from 7'!