Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Range Rpt.-Kentucky Pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Did you seriously say "more deadly"? Wanna rethink that?

Anyhoo, very nice RL. If it ever comes down to nuttin but bp, those who ignore them will be without.
LOL - I didn't read Orangello's post correctly - a BP pistol would NOT be more deadly - but a BP rifle would most certainly be, if it is compared to a centerfire firing FMJ's.
If percussion caps were easy to manufacture, I would suggest everyone buy a BP rifle/pistol combo since BP is easy to make at home, and if the SHTF to the point where reloading components become unavailable, then BP would be the best and only line of defense after a while. They worked very well for the first hundred years...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
For a blackpowder, smooth bore? I would take that accuracy all day long.
It's not a smooth bore, it's actually a 10" rifled barrel - 1:14 twist if I remember. If I shot it from a bench it probably would have grouped better than my centerfire pistols at the same range. Even the little Phil. Derringer in the pic is rifled! I have many BP weapons and the only ones that aren't rifled are a New Orleans Ace .44 single shot boot pistol, an Ethan Allen Pepperbox, and a gun called the Twister, which is a .32 cal two shot derringer - after firing off the first round, a lever is pressed under the barrel which allows the barrel to rotate 180 degrees, then cock the hammer again and fire the second shot. I'll post pics of all the BP guns I have next week. I was really into that crap years ago and made a nice display frame out of old barn siding above my fireplace.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-10-2009 at 01:45 AM.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:44 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

It's the same with the replica revolvers, rifled barrels. I have a couple of the pre-civil war replicas you can get thru places like Cabela's. The long barreled ones are surprizingly accurate off a rest. Fun to shoot.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 08-10-2009 at 01:48 AM.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
It's the same with the replica revolvers. I have a couple of the pre-civil war replicas you can get thru places like Cabela's. The long barreled ones are surprizingly accurate off a rest. Fun to shoot.
Yep. Back in the late 70's and early 80's there was a company called "Classic Arms" that sold all of those pre-civil war replicas, most in kit form, dirt cheap. I wish I had bought them all now. They had a "Duckfoot" which was three .32 cal. barrels that went off simultaneously. It was used by pirates boarding ships - like a shotgun of sorts. The British had a Cutlass Pistol which was a single shot .44 much like the Kentucky pistol only it had a blade or "cutlass" under the barrel so you could still stay in the fight after shooting your one shot. All these guns sold for less than $50 back then. Classic Arms wenr out of business in the late 80's...

Old 08-10-2009, 02:11 AM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
It's not a smooth bore, it's actually a 10" rifled barrel - 1:14 twist if I remember. If I shot it from a bench it probably would have grouped better than my centerfire pistols at the same range. Even the little Phil. Derringer in the pic is rifled! I have many BP weapons and the only ones that aren't rifled are a New Orleans Ace .44 single shot boot pistol, an Ethan Allen Pepperbox, and a gun called the Twister, which is a .32 cal two shot derringer - after firing off the first round, a lever is pressed under the barrel which allows the barrel to rotate 180 degrees, then cock the hammer again and fire the second shot. I'll post pics of all the BP guns I have next week. I was really into that crap years ago and made a nice display frame out of old barn siding above my fireplace.
Really?? That is something that I did not know. I am not into BP of any sort - but that is cool that you can buy a kit, and assemble a pistol that shoots this well.

Is it an FFL item - or can you just up and order one off the Interwebz??

Interesting!

JD

Old 08-10-2009, 02:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Really?? That is something that I did not know. I am not into BP of any sort - but that is cool that you can buy a kit, and assemble a pistol that shoots this well.

Is it an FFL item - or can you just up and order one off the Interwebz??

Interesting!

JD
In most states, the bp stuff is no ffl. I've seen kits for long guns like the Hawken and a single shot pistol that looks like a pirate pistol. I have not seen any kits for a revolver, but Cabela's sells several models. Everything from basic to fully engraved stainless with mikarta grips. Some come with easy interchange cylinders so you can have extra loaded and ready for caps as a sort of speed loader. You can use loose powder or 30 gr pellets, balls or conicals. Of course, they are single action.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 08-10-2009, 02:40 AM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
In most states, the bp stuff is no ffl. I've seen kits for long guns like the Hawken and a single shot pistol that looks like a pirate pistol. I have not seen any kits for a revolver, but Cabela's sells several models. Everything from basic to fully engraved stainless with mikarta grips. Some come with easy interchange cylinders so you can have extra loaded and ready for caps as a sort of speed loader. You can use loose powder or 30 gr pellets, balls or conicals. Of course, they are single action.
*makes note in Agent 47 book*

Really? That is VERY interesting...

JD

Old 08-10-2009, 03:04 AM   #18

Quote:
*makes note in Agent 47 book*

Really? That is VERY interesting...

JD
The replicas Cabela's sells are made by F. LLI. Pietta in Italy. You can get them from about $150-$750 or so. Truely the all the SHTF firearms. I would like to get the 'Cattleman's Carbine' rifle, but it is down the list of firearms.

Heck, the LeMat replica also has a 20 ga under.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 08-10-2009, 03:18 AM   #19

Liked 62 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Yep. Back in the late 70's and early 80's there was a company called "Classic Arms" that sold all of those pre-civil war replicas, most in kit form, dirt cheap. I wish I had bought them all now. They had a "Duckfoot" which was three .32 cal. barrels that went off simultaneously. It was used by pirates boarding ships - like a shotgun of sorts. The British had a Cutlass Pistol which was a single shot .44 much like the Kentucky pistol only it had a blade or "cutlass" under the barrel so you could still stay in the fight after shooting your one shot. All these guns sold for less than $50 back then. Classic Arms wenr out of business in the late 80's...
I have an early Twister but mine's a .36, Classic Arms is still in business. DGW still sells those kits but not completed guns.

I noticed on your target you used 20 grs. of powder. Why so light of a charge?

Last edited by Hawg; 08-10-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I have an early Twister but mine's a .36, Classic Arms is still in business. DGW still sells those kits but not completed guns.

I noticed on your target you used 20 grs. of powder. Why so light of a charge?

My mistake Hawg - the Twister IS .36 cal., but it takes a .350 patched RB and not the more common .375. I only used 20 gr. because it was the first time I fired it - I could probably use twice that, but for accuracy a lighter charge is always better.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-10-2009 at 02:10 PM.