Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Question for Musket/Blackpowder Lovers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8335 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Some folks have a speedboat that is fiberglass, a loud V8 engine, and the shoreline goes past in a blur.

Other folks have a sailboat. They focus on being pulled along the water by the wind, dodging the boom as they come about to a new tack.

Both love boats.

Some folks shoot .17 caliber wildcats, where the bullet weighs less than the dust in the air around it, and has the same drop as a laser beam. Other folks shoot .460 Weatherby Magnums, because they just love to watch that ram bounce 4 feet in the air.

Both love guns.

Any questions?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #22

Liked 276 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 1225

For me its the history thing too. I still need to add a couple old army/navy 6 shoot.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #23

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts

G2Gunny, I think a lot of it has to do with a love of history and what these guns represent. Also, black powder is a real boys game. It is smelly and dirty and smokey, and thoroughly fun.

If you ever jumped into a mud puddle as a kid, just to watch the splash, you'll love shooting black powder. It wakes up the kid inside of you.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I bought my BP revolver a few years ago and fired it, it brought back memories of growing up at home while in my teens. Things that I had gotten away from as I grew older like hunting, trapping, reloading. Things I realized I missed.Anyone can load a modern weapon with a brass case, look through a scope and usually hit something ( I know I have and still do) but with BP it is not and exact science, there are many varables. There is also the history, the smell and the smoke. all from a more simpler time but at the same time, a time when every shot counted for either food or your life. Now I am into it by casting, will probably make some homemade BP. I wear some of the clothes even..lol It is a challange somewhat in todays modern ways to go back in time. A friend of mine comes over when I fire up the outdoor firepit I have (store bought thing)since I live in a small village. She asked do I ever make a fire using modern ways anymore cause I am in the habit starting them with flint and steel and can get one going just as fast as she can (or faster) and she uses modern stuff..lol

Sometimes in life ya just gotta stop and take time to smell the flowers....of sulfur that is....

HM2Grunt Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It's the smell of the powder and the smoke as it goes off. It is very addicting being able to change your load as you go. To me you haven't shot a real gun until you have shot a BP. I shoot a rifle my husband built from scratch and a pedersoli shotgun.

image-507280936.jpg   image-367839508.jpg   image-1211345174.jpg   image-2207469650.jpg   image-3856188309.jpg  

Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #26

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Mastering the "Flintlock" fire arm is a real art. A well built flinter can cluster 5 off hand rounds at 100 yards inside the 10 ring. The British officers of the Revolutionary War warned their troops. The American Rifleman can and will kill you at 300 yards if the wind is down.
Making these shots today on targets is a thrill that goes deep in a shooters soul.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If you get someone good to build a true flintlock and they know what they are doing on the lock it will make it a fun gun to shoot. My lock is fast. I shot running boar with it which was a blast.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #28

Liked 72 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 28

A good quality flint lock like a Chambers is almost as fast as a centerfire. Once the pan is set off there is no hang time.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2gunny View Post
This is a legit question.

I have never shot a blackpowder rifle or a musket.

I just found this section of the forum actually, but I truely am wondering what is so awesome about these type of guns? Why not shoot a normal cartridge gun???? Is there something extra exciting about a blackpowder gun???

It seems like there is a cult following amoung you type, and I am about to buy a black powder gun to try to find out what all the fuss is about.
HISTORY The way it was before it all got so easy But sometimes after a long shooting day, I think modern has it all over black for cleaning. Goes along with my "one shot at a time" feelings.
dscn1575.jpg  

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Last edited by HM2Grunt; 08-04-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #30

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesnester View Post
U will know Ur hooked when ya start dressen in funny clothes.
LOL.....Y ou got that right...Tues nights are primitive only, on the range i work at. Those guys are a little crazy, and lots of fun to hang out with. I have a Thompson Hawkins, and a few BP revolvers. Its their night....and they do it up good. coonskin hats, and all. I warned them, one of theses Tuesdays im going to show up in a cave woman outfit, with a slingshot.......

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

People Like This