Pyrodex Pellets
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Pyrodex Pellets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pyrodex Pellets

Anybody shoot Pyrodex Pellets in their cartridge guns?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #2

Default pyrodex pellets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrClaw View Post
Anybody shoot Pyrodex Pellets in their cartridge guns?
Hello: I've tried the pellets in my Ruger old army revolver. Sometimes they would fire sometimes they wouldn't. If I put about 3 grs. of 4f in first then a 30gr pellet it would fire everytime. But What a pain in the behind. I just stayed with the blackpowder. Goex is my first choice. Kik, Dragon, Elephant, Swiss. I shoot about 20-25 lbs a year. I also load cartridge shells and have thought about trying pyrodex in them. But have had such bad luck with it not sure I want to fool with it. Not sure if your using one or not but if you load blackpowder shells. Make or buy a drop tube. Very easy to make and usefull. I can send you a picture if you want to make one cost about 5.00 copper pipe from local hardware store. Pete

Old 11-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #3

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I don't see the pellets working well in cartridges because it needs to be compressed. I use loose Pyrodex in cartridges tho and it works fine.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Pellets are not as efficient in either cartridge guns or front stuffer's. I believe the pelletized powders are more of a convenience and offer a slightly higher level of consistency over metering charges of powder through a primitive handheld powder measure in the field. However, I believe that simple logic dictates that a powder compressed into a solid will never have the reliability or rapid ignition of a powder. Inlines using shotshell 209 primers may ignite pellets consistently, but again, ignition and burn rate will be slower than using a powder. Reachingn the peak of the pressure curve quickly is important, especially when using black powder.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 11-01-2009 at 12:28 PM.